Support VWWC

Thread: Diesel oil cooler

Diesel oil cooler

Hi asking for a friend he has a 2012 T5.1 2 litre turbo and has a water leak around the diesel cooler on the front of the engine . Has anyone changed one and what sort of job was it to do . Thank You .

Users Country Flag
    What do you mean by diesel cooler?
    I've got a 5.1 (single turbo) and the other things on the radiator carrier are the aircon condenser and the intercooler.
    The radiator is the only thing with water/coolant in it.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.1 6sp manual.

Its at the front of the engine just near the oil filter alloy thing with cooling fins around the outside .Diesel oil cooler-cooler-jpg

looks like an auto water/oil trans cooler. My advice, get rid of it, and replace with an air/oil cooler. It's an auto trans heater. Your auto oil runs at best, 90C. I converted to an auto air cooler after the gearbox was rebuilt at 160K( seals/ o-rings had gone hard due to oil temps IMO, damaging gearbox)
    On the T5 the long flat diesel cooler is under the vehicle behind the passenger seat
    Last edited by Rebuild; 29-04-2024 at 07:46 AM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag
    Ahh.......I have a manual which explains why I have never seen such a thing!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.1 6sp manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebuild View Post
    looks like an auto water/oil trans cooler. My advice, get rid of it. It's an auto trans heater. Your auto oil runs at best, 90C. I converted to an auto air cooler after the gearbox was rebuilt at 160K( seals/ o-rings had gone hard due to oil temps IMO, damaging gearbox)
    On the T5 the long flat diesel cooler is under the vehicle behind the passenger seat
    Yes that was on my older T5 under the car directly behind the wheel which goes off road first , ours got punctured leading to diesel spraying out onto the road causing the van to do a great version of a drift racer when we turned onto a main road . We didn't see it was leaking until then , next morning just fitted a bypass hose and all was good .

so, is it an auto trans cooler you're asking about, a diesel fuel cooler, or an engine oil cooler(which i don't think a T5 has.)?

Where do the oil pipes from it go to?
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Its not my van but is the same as ours and as far as I know its an oil cooler on a diesel engine , my bad as I posted the question using "diesel " oil cooler , so that's why its gotten confusing .