Thread: DC DC Charger Question

Users Country Flag

DC DC Charger Question

Hey,

Have just gotten myself a 2014 LWB T5 and am about to start the conversion process.

Has anyone had any experience with the below DC/DC charger?

http://www.projecta.com.au/Products/...BatteryCharger

Look pretty competitively priced compared to the Redarc BCDC1220/12225D and the Ctek D250S.

Have searched around but no talk of anyone using this Projecta unit.

Looking forward to sharing some progress.

Thanks!!

Users Country Flag
    I've used the previous model in my T5 for many years, it never missed the beat. I'd only use the RedArc for its small size and also beacause it's 40A charging unit and might be better for a bigger battery.

IMO, the Projecta makes a decent gear, especially at the higher end.

Users Country Flag
    None beat the Ctek range for reliability and quality. Hence the price. Have used them for years without problems in a caravanning and 4wd situation.

Always thought of Projecta stuff as poor cousins after problems with a battery isolation setup of theirs. Changed to a Redarc in the end.
    If it worked for you fine but i steer clear of their stuff.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    None beat the Ctek range for reliability and quality. Hence the price. Have used them for years without problems in a caravanning and 4wd situation.

Always thought of Projecta stuff as poor cousins after problems with a battery isolation setup of theirs. Changed to a Redarc in the end.
    If it worked for you fine but i steer clear of their stuff.
    The RedArc is fine brand, no doubts about that. Though, I came across a few 4A and 5A Cteks that didn't were dead within 2-3 years.

Users Country Flag
    I have a Projecta and also a Blue Thunder charger (ebay) and they are both good,

The projecta has been going strong however i dont like that you have to crimp onto the tails at the back of the charger! It would be better if it had terminals to lug off to! The thunder has the terminals, second minor issue is sometimes when its overcast (happened 3 times) the solar LED flashes red and the unit wont charge the aux battery AT all, easy to fix, i just disconnect the projecta unit and it resets itself! I would buy one again though, but it would be nice if they had terminals to lug onto! Annnnd one other thing, make sure you get circuit breakers not fuses, that way its easy to perform a reset!

Users Country Flag
    The new Ctek D250 now has Variable Voltage charging (this was released in May), Redarc also has a Low voltage DC-DC charger.

The 2014 T5 has variable voltage alternator doesn't it, if i recall.

Its something worth looking into before you go and buy a new DC-DC.
    2017 VW T6 3200KG GVM LWB 132kW 7 Speed DSG (Campervan Conversion)

Maybe Brisbane owners can go to the caravan and camping show next week I am sure they will have plenty of these to see .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the replys, I found this in the manual;

"If your vehicle has smart (variable voltage) alternator installed, the Ignition Override cable must be connected to the vehicle’s ignition. The IDC25 will only operate when the vehicle’s ignition is turned on.
    However, if solar panels are connected to IDC25, the IDC25 will operate and only draw power from solar panels (assuming vehicle’s ignition is turned off).
    Fit a 1-2A fuse to the cable as close as possible to the vehicle’s ignition.
    Consult the vehicle manufacturer for type of alternator installed in your vehicle."

Will call into the local battery shop who sell Projecta to confirm it will suit the vehicle.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by saltd0g View Post
    I have a Projecta and also a Blue Thunder charger (ebay) and they are both good,

The projecta has been going strong however i dont like that you have to crimp onto the tails at the back of the charger! It would be better if it had terminals to lug off to! The thunder has the terminals I would buy one again though, but it would be nice if they had terminals to lug onto!
    I have no problem with the wires only (REDARC has wires only too). These things are made to connect and forget, so you set it up and leave like that forever.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post
    The new Ctek D250 now has Variable Voltage charging (this was released in May), Redarc also has a Low voltage DC-DC charger.

The 2014 T5 has variable voltage alternator doesn't it, if i recall.

Its something worth looking into before you go and buy a new DC-DC.
    The DC-DC chargers charge independently from the alternator - charging or not, as long as the ignition is on. This should be clear from the specifications of the DC-DC charger. Maybe the new ones if they mention anything about variable charging alternators have an additional sensing wire not charge when the alternator isn't charging the batttery, if that's the case I would prefer the older one, since I do short trips as well and have my second battery always fully charged is important to me. You could use the second battery to start from if needed.