Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch leaking fluid

Users Country Flag

Clutch leaking fluid

Hopefully somebody can help. I recently bought a 2002 T4 Transporter 2.5 diesel. Today I noticed what I thought was brake fluid leaks under it. I was getting tyres put on and it was on a hoist to be aligned and the spots were on the ground as l drove in. When I went to drive away the clutch pedal was on the floor fully in. I pulled it back up and I drove it around to a mechanic who had a quick check and said it was clutch fluid and it appears it's the master cylinder. It was late so I'll drop it up tomorrow morning to get it checked. The problem I have though is the bloke I got it from gave me a receipt from a mechanic saying a new clutch master cylinder had been fitted in November 2015 at 225,000 k's. It's now just touched 228,000. Surely they would last longer then that? Also is this an expensive fix and difficult? Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Fossil; 18-07-2017 at 09:48 PM. Reason: wrong kilometres listed

Users Country Flag
    Might be just a poor connection when he changed it.
    By memory, the brakes and clutch shared the same reservoir so it's best to keep it topped up!
    I changed one once.........petrol motor though but I wouldn't think they'd be too different...........2003 model.
    The part wasn't too expensive but the pedal cluster is a pain in the arse!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Also check the actual pedal mount there was an issue with the mounting being weak and it will crack around the base , on my sons one it was like this and because it went out of alignment it caused the master cylinder to leak BUT I think it leaked internally onto the floor so might not be your problem but still worth checking .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks fellas. I'm completely new to vw and I hope I don't regret getting it. The mechanic said he just hopes it's not inside the gear box. Although as I understand it that's the slave cylinder. What would be a reasonable price to have a new master cylinder installed do you think?

Users Country Flag
    I can't recall how much the part was but I think it took about two hours.
    VW stuff is weird..........some parts are expensive while others are cheap.
    I'm yet to find out why.

Like Sunny says, the bracket that holds all the pedals is of poor design.
    I went through three in nearly 600,000 kms.
    The bracket is an expensive part.........more than the master cylinder by memory.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have been quoted $1,000 - $1,200 as it's the slave cylinder. Labor is the killer. I do get 12 months warranty with it where I wouldn't if it came from Just Kampers. The clutch pedal has been previously welded. The mechanic who just done my major service told me everything else is good. I suppose nobody can ever predict failures on a used vehicle. As well as being my first VW it's also my first diesel. It's just being on a pension it's difficult with limited funds. Hopefully I might be able to get to know somebody in the Newcastle area who has a Transporter as well and might be able to get together and help each other out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    The mechanic said he just hopes it's not inside the gear box.
    That's why the quote is so high, the gearbox needs to be separated from the motor. How many k's has your van done?
    How does the clutch feel?, any shudder? If you can afford it a new clutch kit & dual mass flywheel should be fitted while everything is apart.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    It's just being on a pension it's difficult with limited funds. Hopefully I might be able to get to know somebody in the Newcastle area who has a Transporter as well and might be able to get together and help each other out.
    It depends how old you are & your mechanical ability. I will be 74 in a months time[just had my second knee replaced] & I would have to think twice before I would tackle mine. It's a difficult job & some say it's easier to remove the front of the van & remove the engine & trans. together. I would need a younger person to help at times if I did mine.
    I do hope you find someone local to you with mechanical ability.
    Last edited by jets; 20-07-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag

Did they use a dual mass flywheel in the T4?
    You'd have to think about a new clutch if it was out.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast