Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch leaking fluid

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

It's already had a ew clutch kit put in only 3,000 k's ago. Flywheel etc already done. The clutch is nice on it and gears change without a problem. It's just a failed slave but falls out of the warranty period. I asked for a written quote and he came back at $1,300 and not $1,200. I think if a mechanic gives you a written quote they can't add more to it when it comes payment time. Is that correct?

Already had a new clutch in it 3,000 k's ago. Flywheels also been done. Just a failed slave cylinder. Done by Tony King at Karuah. I'm starting to think that some mechanics just seem to charge more because it's a VW

All fixed thanks to Pete at Newcastle VW Centre. Highly recommended for any dub work...

Good result, glad it had a happy ending. Thanks for reposting.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    It's already had a ew clutch kit put in only 3,000 k's ago. Flywheel etc already done. The clutch is nice on it and gears change without a problem. It's just a failed slave but falls out of the warranty period. I asked for a written quote and he came back at $1,300 and not $1,200. I think if a mechanic gives you a written quote they can't add more to it when it comes payment time. Is that correct?
    That was a good time back then to replace the slave cylinder as well.

As per the written quotes, I always write down that if it would be more than +/-20% I call you to approve it, in other word, the quote is always within 20%.

When you think back to the old days Slave cylinders for gearboxes were on the outside with a simple lever mounted on a pivot that would depress the pressure plate , you only had to replace the kit if it leaked for around $30 or a new slave cylinder under $100 and it could be done in under an hour by anyone .

Got it all fixed by Pete at Newcastle VW Center for $900. So glad I met him as not only is he a great veedub mechanic who certainly knows his stuff but also a very decent bloke. Highly recommended for any VW, Audi, Skoda or Porsche owners in the Newcastle district. Only regret is not meeting him earlier to do my services that cost way to much by a bloke who knew nothing about Transporters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12