Thread: Canberra Engine Rebuilder - recommendation please!

Canberra Engine Rebuilder - recommendation please!

Hello all. My 2.5 TDI AXE has gone bang in a spectacular way. I'd consider having the engine rebuilt if someone could recommend a good workshop. Any thoughts / experiences?

Users Country Flag
    Canberra VW Centre at Belconnen?

Users Country Flag
    Worth asking but I did not think CVWC Belco had the equipment to do a full engine rebuild. I have seen a number of vehicles at CVWC Belco that have had engines go bang and generally the CVWC Belco team seem to have been busy helping the poor owner source a second-hand replacement engine and then doing the swap.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag
    We used CVWC when we used to live in Canberra, and support the previous statements. They do not rebuild in-house. However that does not mean they do not have a trusted company they can refer you to, or that can do that work once they remove the engine for you.

CVWC will help source and install a used engine because that is generally the cheapest and fastest way to get the vehicle back on the road - and most people seem to want cheap and fast...
    Cheers

True,we don"t do full rebuilds unless they are for a performance engine(rare) but we do have an excellent machine shop close by which is used mainly for head repairs these days. Rebuilding a modern engine costs around $1400 a cylinder so used engines are normally cheaper and much less downtime for the owner. Pete CVWC
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aprr32 View Post
    True,we don"t do full rebuilds unless they are for a performance engine(rare) but we do have an excellent machine shop close by which is used mainly for head repairs these days. Rebuilding a modern engine costs around $1400 a cylinder so used engines are normally cheaper and much less downtime for the owner. Pete CVWC

Thanks for your info, Pete. Will be in touch when I get back to Canberra in mid July.

Cheers
    Niall