Support VWWC

Thread: Basic LWB bus fit out project

Basic LWB bus fit out project

Hi guys, I'm currently getting my standard T5 LWB set up with rear seats and ply floor. After much trawling i finally found a three seater bench seat by Techsafe in Melbourne, had it shipped to Goldie for $150. It is not in the prettiest of condition as in pic!! But nothing a good scrub won't sort. I wanted the seats with built in seatbelts so took some finding. Next to locate the fixing points in the van floor & drill out.
    Attachment 33227Attachment 33228file:///var/folders/8f/jp49139d2px_d...T/IMG_9030.jpg

Along with the seats I'm going to fit a ply floor. The way to go from what I've found is 9mm ply fillers to go between the floor ribs then 12mm ply floor on top, all glued and screwed down. Ive bought a rubber floor mat from VW (@$200) and am going to use as a template for the floor cutting. This mat is not the thick foam filed one you can get. Ive had a price for a one piece ready cut ply of @$600 that i can't justify so sourcing two piece to fit my LWB of 3m long x 1500mm x 12mm from Mister Ply.($130 each)

Basic LWB bus fit out project-img_8719-jpg

Problem i have at the moment is finding the right sidestep to fit over the new higher floor here. The Kombi steps and i'd think also the Multivan steps are the ones i need but anyone help here???
    Tried VW but they need a Vin no! Just to find a standard part.
    Last edited by tuck; 27-02-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Okay first things first . Number one there are no floor mounts in a standard Transporter for any seats factory or aftermarket , second you would need the appropriate reinforcing plates under the floor to bolt the seat to . Then you must use high tensile bolts for the seats from memory 7/16 size fine threads .the plates under the floor must match the seat manufactureres specifications or the seat mounts may fail in an accident or will not get passed by a certifying officer who would affix an extra seat compliance plate for Qld Transport . The side step from VW will only work with a Multi van or similar one as the floor depth at the side is different once you fit your ply .Have a look at the photos from our family van I did a few years back New T5 Project, the 5th photo down shows the original side step is actually under the ply floor . What I did was after laying the ply I layed 12mm soundeadner over the floor followed by commercial grade carpet , the carpet was tucked back under the ply at the step so it looks neat . I then made up a carpet piece that is the shape of the lower part of the original and clipped it into place with durable fastners like on boat covers . Have you looked at some photos in the sticky of other conversions done lots of good ideas by previous members myself included . I used to have a business on the Gold Coast manufacturing and installing seats and had my own Qld Transport certification for installing seats and belts , we did lots of vans and mini bus conversions so I do know whats involved {being a motor trimmer helps as well } Also look at the sticky thread I did a few years back as well you will get some ideas from that one as well I hope Insulating T5 "Another wet weekend and someone is getting a makeover" If you need some guidance or suggestions I only live 15 minutes from Pimpama so your welcome to come and have a look at what I have done , I can't help with the actual certification / compliance plate as I let my license lapse a few years ago as I sold the old business , but I can give you details of a place who can do the compliance for you they are in Southport .

Hi Sunny, thanks for the advice. Yes I've looked everywhere, on all the forums in the uk too, found some useful stuff on Brickyard particularly but still a little daunting. Lower the fuel tank, exhaust to come off, drill through in the exact right places, correct brackets & bolts....
    Ive seen your T5 project step and the other sticky but was hoping to get the step to sit on top of the ply. I messaged a guy who converted a couple of T5's for me in the uk and he said to use a kombi step. When he's fitted a new floor the new step does sit over the ply. Try speaking to Vw here and they want a vin no for everything. Maybe ill see if he can get me a part no.

Oh well if you're only oop 'road would be rude not to call for a cuppa!

ok I have the solution for your step , I only remembered my work van still has the standard step on the side door see attached photo , what I did was to fit the ply floor 12mm and cut it around 40mm back from the edge of the step . Then once I glued the commercial carpet to the ply and then down onto the remaing metal floor the side step fitted nicely back into place . The other photos show our home van with the side step under the ply which has been covered with the carpet and tucked under between the ply and top flap of the step .
    Basic LWB bus fit out project-step-jpg
    Basic LWB bus fit out project-step-1-jpg

Basic LWB bus fit out project-step-2-jpg

That is a good solution for the standard step, think I’ll try that if I can’t get the kombi step. My mate is getting the part no from uk so I hope that it is recognised and supplied by Vw Oz!
    I’ve pm’d you sunny

So, i've had the side window fitted but comes with no real tint so planning on getting all the rear windows tinted when i have time. Window fitted by auto extras, Brisbane.

My mother is due to arrive from Wales soon so i just have to get the van sorted or there'll be no room to fit her in!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Basic LWB bus fit out project-img_9105-jpg  
    Last edited by tuck; 17-03-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Templated the 12mm ply using the mat, had to take into account the 30mm ish overhang the mat has over the front flooring. A few trims here and there were needed. I didn't cut the ply down the centre of the van so i have a spare length if someone wants it in exchange for a couple of beers. You'd only need to buy one sheet of ply then.I also marked out & cut out the load points with an 88mm holesaw, got that here too of anyone wants it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Basic LWB bus fit out project-img_9111-jpg   Basic LWB bus fit out project-img_9123-jpg