Thread: Back Speakers Wire-Up?

Back Speakers Wire-Up?

Hey there

Recently purchased a second hand 2010 T5.1 and in the back are these speakers:
    They aren't wired up from the back through to the front however with just the speakers wires dangling behind in the wooden frame.
    Assuming the previous owner never got around to fitting.

Whats the process is wiring these?
    Would love to do DIY - anyone have any experience running speakers in the back? If so- whats the process and where do I need to wire them to?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers

Back Speakers Wire-Up?-img_2762-jpg

Ok you will need to run twin wires from each speaker up through the body in the tailgate until you get to the bridging rubber boot at the top . Best way is to remove the rubber boot from the body and tailgate and use something flexible to attach the cables to and then remove the tailgate trim feed the wires down and connect one set to each speaker . Now to reach the front you will obviously need around 5 metres for each speaker , back to the rubber boot once you have got the wires to the speakers and connected feed the wires through the boot and into the inside of the van then refit the boot . You will probably need to remove the clips hoplding one side of the roof lining trim as you will need to run the wires all the way to the dash . If you can find something long and flexible you can tape the end of the wires to it and feed that along the top side of the roof trim and then reach the wires at the front corner of the roof trim at the corner of the front door opening also remove the pillar trim as well . Run the wires down to the bottom of the pillar and then remove the glove box [makes it easier to feed the wires to the heads unit} . Now are you going to run these speakers through the head unit or an amplifier ? why I ask is most head units have only very small wattage output and those speakers would be better off connected to an amplifier to boost volume and bass . If you are going to use an amp run the speaker wires down to the floor and then into the seat box that the actual seat is mounted on passengers side , Some factory head units will have the ability to wire a second set of speakers but like I said they do not put out much power ie 5 to 10 watts per channel as opposed to a good amp putting out 50 to 150 watts per channnel or split between the two . If you use the head unit like I said earlier remove the glovebox to feed the wires across to the head unit then wire into the plug on the back VW usually put in extra wires for rear speakers but dont connect any . If you use an amp it becomes alittle more complicated as you will still need to run some wires from the head unit to the amp and connect them to the high end connections if the head unti has a spare set of RCA connections which I doubt you would run those down to the amp instead .Naturally there would be the need with an amp to run a heavy power cable direct from the battery for the amp and also an accessory wire which will turn the amp on and of each time you use the unit . Hope this helps .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 23-11-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks a lot Sunny that’s a huge help, will hopefully be able to give it a go before Chrissy! Thanks mate