Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awning Brackets Without Roof Racks?

My canvas was not built for the van(too long,obviously), so a fixed sailtrack was not really an option

Even so, i'm not keen on fixing the sailtrack to the roof, and the resultant hassle trying to slide the canvas in each and every time, and the wear on the canvas too.
    Last edited by Rebuild; 14-09-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

We slid our canvas tarp onto out roof probably around eight times a year or more over five years and never had any issues , the tarp still looked the same as the first day we got it . What you need to do is flare the end of the track out and sand it smooth that way NOTHING can get caught . What also helps is a spray of silicone lube it works a treat .

I used fiamma mountings that are made for a T5, unfortunately they came from Italy and were designed for mounting on the right hand side of the van. Luckily I was able to drill out the rivets and re-rivet them in the mirror image to fit the left hand side. Probably if you source them from fiamma England they will already be for the correct side. I made nylon spacers at the time, but later I discovered that they were making the spacers and supplying them with the brackets.

Here is the link: Fiamma F45 awning bracket - VW T5/T6 (UK version) - Everything Fiamma

Here is a link to a few photos of how I mounted mine: Awning - Google Photos

Depending on what awning you use you may have to make further modifications to make it fit the backing frame of your awning.

My mate on both his vans used three angle brackets he made up from 75 X 25 3mm or close to.. he drilled holes to suit, and mounted them at the van roof rack fixing points. He them mounted a couple of kings awnings with wing nuts so he can take them off without any fuss.

cheers frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12