Support VWWC

Thread: Air mass sensor

Air mass sensor

I got my T4 awhile back already modded and was talking to a vw mechanic that said I should ditch the pod air filter as it messes with the air mass sensor? I just got it back from getting the timing belt done and the mechanic said did you realize there is no air mass sensor on your intake.
    I asked him how this would affect the engine and he was sure but said it may run richer, well it does use more fuel than my last T4.
    Any thoughts?
    Nik

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    I'm assuming that this is a TDi?

My opinion is that your techs are right with respect to the air pod filter and the air mass sensor......those pod filters do bugger all for a small diesel and deleting the MAF is a bit daft too.

Mine (2001 TDi Syncro DOKA with no engine mods) does about 8.5 l/100km around town.....a 2WD SWB manual van should be slightly better less than this. If not.....it's either broken or you drive it thinking it's a sports car.

Sorry its a 2.5 petrol syncro. Id take the pod off but I cant afford to fork out for an airbox set up yet (its all missing) besides It needs the belly pan replacing thats gone too as well as the spare tyre holder!!
    Im not sure if the previous owner took the sensor off when fitting the pod or it failed so they took it off?
    My swb auto 2.5 petrol use to get just over 600km a tank this one (manual) gets 500 Id always thought it had a smaller tank but apparently not!
    Nik

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    Probably took it off after it failed due to an over-oiled air filter.

If thee were me....I'd add the air box et al. to your list of things to source because you are blasting through fuel.....you are probably spending an extra $600-$700 per annum on fuel (assuming 20,000km per annum) over what you should be....

Gee when you put it that way...and Im sure I do more than 20000km a year!!
    Its one of those paper and wire mesh pods. But now that I tink about it when I went to buy the van from a car yard they wouldnt sell it at 1st as it "wasnt ready" then they admitted it had a cracked manifold and when I looked they had the air filter off..maybe leaving the air sensor out goes along with taking the spare wheel out and the lock key to get the wheels off (they were in it when I 1st looked at it but wasnt driving from newcastle to sydney for a 3rd time just to get them)
    I,ll keep my eye out for anyone wrecking a T4 HINT HINT..
    Thanks Nik