Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding new headunit to Transporter T6 issues..

Users Country Flag

Adding new headunit to Transporter T6 issues..

Hey so I recently purchased a Transporter T6 for work and it's a wonderful van... however, my only issue is that the headunit in it is so outdated, so I wanted to replace it with a better one.

My mate got me a 'MIB STD2 PQ' head unit (genuine Volkswagen), but he doesn't really know much about installation so he left me to do it. So far I've installed in the unit, it works, it's functional, carplay working etc, except the reverse camera does not seem to work. It doesn't trigger the reverse camera when car is on reverse and I have no idea why that is.

I went to my local VW dealer and they weren't really helpful, so I'm kinda lost at this point, and finding solutions based on this is nearly impossible since I struggle enough finding the headunit on Google.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

P.S: the van is 2017 if that makes a difference.

Users Country Flag
    You need to code the head unit with a tool like VCDS or OBD11 to tell it that it has a camera.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ahh I see, is VCDS just software (that I could do myself)? Or do I need to go to VW again and ask them about it?

My pet hate is the guff about having to have the van hooked up to a computer to change a simple setting , my mate imported a Toyota Tundra few years back , and there was a sub menu in the head unit which allowed you to make changes to lots of systems in the car . VW could easily do the same but no strings of long codes and binary numbers are part of their thinking , just another way to top up the dealers bottom line .

Users Country Flag
    You don't need to go to VW to do this (although you can).
    You need to just find someone local to you with VCDS (PC software and a USB cable) or OBD11 (Android app and a bluetooth OBD adapter) to change the coding in the unit for you.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    You don't need to go to VW to do this (although you can).
    You need to just find someone local to you with VCDS or OBD11 to change the coding in the unit for you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ok so far I went to my mate and he gave me this cable (I can supply pics if needed) it has VAS-5055 on it and he said it's for the VCDS. He asked me to find out how to do it (so I can teach him as well - he works as a service manager so he never really has hands-on this stuff). So far searching around and Googling, I think I've found the software on Ross-tech?

Is this all I need to set it up and do it myself?

Edit: just worried as this seems pretty simple thus far, and I got a quote from a local mechanic of $950 today just to get the 'coding' started and for the reverse camera, anything extra is $100-200 depending on feature...
    Last edited by dwboutmoe; 17-11-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Users Country Flag
    That's not Vcds, it's a VW tool.
    Where are you located?
    It's a 5 min job with vcds or obd11.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Quote "just worried as this seems pretty simple thus far, and I got a quote from a local mechanic of $950 today just to get the 'coding' started and for the reverse camera, anything extra is $100-200 depending on feature... " end quote .
    This is why I will always try and find a way around all this VW restrictive stuff , my aftermarket head unit has all the features and more than any VW one or many others for that matter and NO coding required , reverse camera bluetooth DAB DV TV Crash Camera all work with out
    " extra "components to be added . Hope you find a friendly tech who can do it for you , I found a good tech here in Brissy who coded a Cruise Control for my mates T5 recently , yeah yeah yes I had to get that done properly .

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    This is why I will always try and find a way around all this VW restrictive stuff , my aftermarket head unit has all the features and more than any VW one or many others for that matter and NO coding required , reverse camera bluetooth DAB DV TV Crash Camera all work with out
    " extra "components to be added . Hope you find a friendly tech who can do it for you , I found a good tech here in Brissy who coded a Cruise Control for my mates T5 recently , yeah yeah yes I had to get that done properly .
    I’m happy for you that you’ve found the radio that suits you but...
    I doubt that many with the brand new T6 would want cheap Chinese unit in their van. You could easily void the warranty on many electrical parts including complete wiring.
    Last edited by Transporter; 17-11-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast