Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4motion van on the beach at double island point qld

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hi frank,
    The empty sand bags are a very efficient and cheap recovery item when bogged! Far better than Maxtrax! If, being the operative word, you get stuck, you simply fill the sand bags with SAND and put them under & in front of your vehicle & drive out on them. They work a treat! Have done plenty of "tracked" dune driving. I drove from camp up to Double Island Point one morning at high tide, so had to drive in the soft stuff at the back of the beach. The van worked hard but did the job! Even overtook a very suprised Patrol. My van has diff locks, but my rule is - they're for getting you out of trouble, not into trouble! Happy beach vanning Frank.

Cheers for the info. I've just finished putting my recovery kit together. I've got some room left in the crate for sandbags which I'll get in the next day or three. I've got a stack of wheat bags from our farming days but they'd be way too big.. so where would i get 20 sand bags from? SES or Bunnings?

Are your diff locks factory fitted or after market? I'd love to know how they work on the 4 motion.. I figure they could be electronic in nature.

I was considering buying the maxtracks but kept thinking about the space they'd take up. The bags really do make good sense. My earlier pick does show my previous tracks and its where I'd like to park for night fishing. I'd be nervous stopping there unless I drove onto something solid.
    Love to hear more stories and see more picks.
    Cheers frank

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by coas tfire safety View Post
    Attachment 28367
    Tyres let down to 20psi, 10x empty sandbags & shovel & a snatch strap for recovery & plenty of rpm in the soft sand!
    Thanks for the encouragement. Intending to do the sand track between Broadwater and 1770 later in the month. Have you ever had a snatch from the front? I was just going to use the bullbar mounts and a soft bridle, if I need to.

Iza

Users Country Flag
    This is exactly the info I was looking for. I've just sold my T5 2.5l and regret it. So now I intend to sell my Navara D40 and get a SWB 4Motion.
    I do a fair bit of beach work and also some steep rocky terrain type of stuff. I am a very experienced off roader (25 odd years of 4WDing)
    but I am a bit concerned about the ability of the 4Motion. I intend to raise it and run 245/65 R17 ATs. Any advice would be appreciated

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMagoo View Post
    This is exactly the info I was looking for. I've just sold my T5 2.5l and regret it. So now I intend to sell my Navara D40 and get a SWB 4Motion.
    I do a fair bit of beach work and also some steep rocky terrain type of stuff. I am a very experienced off roader (25 odd years of 4WDing)
    but I am a bit concerned about the ability of the 4Motion. I intend to raise it and run 245/65 R17 ATs. Any advice would be appreciated
    You will be lacking the sufficient suspension travel and also the ground clearance. The lift kit may help a bit, but not ideal for the rocks.

Otherwise the haldex system is quite capable.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    You will be lacking the sufficient suspension travel and also the ground clearance. The lift kit may help a bit, but not ideal for the rocks.

Otherwise the haldex system is quite capable.
    thanks Transporter,
    I may have to rethink how and what I want to do. Very keen on the 4motion, but if it won't take me where I want to go I will probably stick with a 4WD

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Izabarack View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. Intending to do the sand track between Broadwater and 1770 later in the month. Have you ever had a snatch from the front? I was just going to use the bullbar mounts and a soft bridle, if I need to.

Iza
    hey Izabarack, if you want a back up vehicle on that drive send me a message
    cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12