Thread: 2008 VW Transporter T5 RHS drive shaft worn down

2008 VW Transporter T5 RHS drive shaft worn down

Currently travelling around Australia and we have come down with some bad luck. RHS drive shaft has completely worn down where the stub axle connects. So the engine starts fine, I can change gears but when accelerating it gives off a deafening screech from the stub axle spinning in the shaft and not grabbing the teeth. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this problem and how they went about sourcing parts?

Users Country Flag
    Very common failure.

You'll need a new stub shaft at least, and possibly the driveshaft as well.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    I got mine from VW.
    There are cheaper ones on ebay but you have to make sure you get the right one as there are a few variations.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Where are you currently located? If in Sydney I have one off a wreck with automatic front wheel drive.

I posted about this subject a while ago , I was able to get one from a supplier here in Brisbane same day and my T5 is a rare one as its a 2.0 petrol manual job .Australian CV Joints and Power Steering I got new drive shaft with CV's and spline for a real good price .VW price for parts . You can see the new parts before fitting and they came with two year warranty .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 30-05-2018 at 11:29 PM.