Thread: rear pad replacement

Users Country Flag

rear pad replacement

hi all, can someone give me advice on how to replace the rear pads on my 128 t5. i tried searching, and their seems to be
    different opinions on procedures. some say you need a wind in tool, some don't. some talk of hydraulic handbrakes?
    please help
    cheers
    eric

I recently changed mine, a rewind tool to wind the piston back is definitely recommended. Although it is possible to use a clamp and large flat-head screw driver to wind it back while pushing the piston back in with the clamp. Just leave the car in gear / chock the front wheels and release the hand brake. Remember to loosen the brake fluid cap before you attempt to push the piston back in as well.

Here is a DIY tutorial: Changing pads on a 2.5 TDi - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

I second that method having 2 T5,s I have done pads on both and sons T4 I just use a"g" clamp and apply light pressure then turn head of clamp until piston has fuly retracted it takes a small amount of time as each time you turn the clampit will come loose .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    thanks for the advice from you both. it's cleared up a lot of miss information on other forums.

hey lemmiwinks, have you seen what the poms are doing with their 17" rims! 9's and 10's, some look very cool. looking into it myself

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    hey lemmiwinks, have you seen what the poms are doing with their 17" rims! 9's and 10's, some look very cool. looking into it myself
    Exactly why I'm looking for some 17" steelies Currently have the 16's and I believe the 17's would look better widened

Users Country Flag
    Unles you are replacing the brake discs, you are better of removing 2 plastic caps, then just remove 2 sliding pins that hold the caliper to the caliper holder. See the red arrows in your picture.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Transporter; 29-03-2012 at 07:20 PM.

is this a 4 motion, as the fwd rear disk calipers look a lot different?

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lemmiwinks View Post
    Exactly why I'm looking for some 17" steelies Currently have the 16's and I believe the 17's would look better widened
    quite an expensive venture, $130 per wheel just to fit. so the price of supplying outer bands, plus strip and fit tyres, would have to take it out to $250/300 for each wheel. appears easier to get done in melb. also

Users Country Flag
    is this a 4 motion, as the fwd rear disk calipers look a lot different?
    Yes, it is. Still the same applies, you don't remove the caliper holder when replacing brake pads only. Even when replacing brake discs with the pads, you still remove them separately, so you can inspect all the parts and lubricate them before you put everything back. The brakes are important, all the work on the brake systems directly affect the road safety and should be done properly.

thanks transporter, i,ll get a rewind tool first, rather than toughing it out with clamps and screw drivers. can the rewind tool also be used on standard calipers?

Users Country Flag

thanks transporter, i,ll get a rewind tool first, rather than toughing it out with clamps and screw drivers. can the rewind tool also be used on standard calipers?
    Yes it can.