Thread: Vapour barrier modification

Users Country Flag

Vapour barrier modification

Hi guys,

Got my 2011 caddy couple weeks ago, it comes with a vapour barrier, I've been used to checking the reverse mirror all the time so I'm wondering is it a good idea to cut open the vapour barrier and screw a piece of acrylic on it, so while I can keep the cabin cool in summer I can use the reverse mirror again, what do you guys think?

Vapour barrier modification-screenshot_2017-08-05-08-40-52-785_com-miui-gallery-jpg

Vapour barrier modification-screenshot_2017-08-05-08-40-40-773_com-miui-gallery-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Congrats on picking up the Caddy. I guess it depends on what you have in the cargo area. If you are carrying stuff that has a strong odour or gives of fumes (eg paint/solvent/thinners) then you probably want the vapour barrier to remain airtight. I have seen vapour barriers with clear acrylic windows installed (as in properly installed with a seal around the edge) which would allow you to see through the barrier but maintain the airtight separation between the cargo area and the cabin. If this is not an issue then a dremel, a cutting bit, a drill, a piece of acrylic and some nuts, bolts and washers should do the trick.

Another option is to fit a reversing camera. One of the things that I want to do to my Caddy Life is to install a reversing camera because even with nice big wing mirrors and the central rear view mirror there is a big blindspot directly behind the Caddy, below the level of the rear window that you just have to guess that there are no kiddies or bollards lurking there. They are not too expensive but I want to save up to get the OEM RCD510 head unit and an OEM reversing camera so it is all integrated nicely into the dash with a decent sized screen to view.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks feenix it's good to see your reply again

The vapour barrier is there because the previous owner is a painter, sure he needs it but now it becomes a cabling technician's van so no fumes from the cargo area anymore~~

I guess I'll give the acrylic a go, the reverse mirror gives me a peace of mind while driving, I guess i'm kind of old school lol!

Can't stopping thinking to upgrade the wheel and lower the spring, however I just need to hold on until job start and money flow in!

The RCD510 is nice, when the time come don't forget to share your installation video here!

Users Country Flag

No problems, I had nothing to add in relation to you question on the cargo barrier as my Caddy is a people mover and while sometime I would love to put the girls in a cage, my wife would frown on me doing it

How hard is it to remove the vapour barrier and replace it with a normal steel mesh type cargo barrier plus a clear vinyl sheet to give you the smaller cabin to heat/cool? I know money is tight when you start a business but I have seen a few 2nd hand Caddy cargo barriers going on Gumtree and ebay.

The RCD510 installation is pretty simple from what I have found on this forum and there are plenty of installation videos on youtube. The hard bit (at least in my head) is figuring out how to run the wiring for the reversing camera from the rear door all the way to the centre dash console. I am assuming that going overhead in probably the easier option but I think I might have to get a professional to do it for me as I inevitably get frustrated and break plastic bits when I try something like that.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP