Thread: Issues with low boost error

Users Country Flag

Issues with low boost error

G'day,

Been away for a while, but a problem at the worst possible time.

On Saturday, on my way to shopping, I just came off a speed platform and when I tried to drive off, there was an unresponsive throttle. Had no effect from idle to flat to the floor.

I thought I might have accidentally activated Brake Throttle Override so I tried to switch gears to Manual mode, only this did nothing other than cause the ding alarm to sound and the MFD displayed a Yellow coloured triangle with Workshop next to it. Also, the glow plug light in the tachometer was flashing.

I pulled to the side of the road, shut the engine down and restarted it. It carried on like nothing had happened.

I took it into my dealer this morning and the scanned it via the ODB port. The result was it has generated a "low boost pressure" code. Unfortunately they had no slack time to do anything more.

Other than it going into limp mode, there has been nothing to indicate a lack of turbo boost. I have driven over 100 km since and it has not missed a beat. I doubt if the wastegate has stuck open, and is definitely working. The only thing I can think it might be is either a dirty or failing pressure sensor. It could not be a loose intake connection as this would generate the code every time I tried to drive it.

As luck would have it, I am supposed to be driving to Melbourne on Wednesday to have Christmas with the family, so it is due to go to another dealer tomorrow. They have a spare time slot where they can look into some more and determine whether it is a genuine fault, or a glitch and fix it if necessary.

Unfortunately there can be crashes with all software. Shortly after I bought the Caddy I turned the ignition off without having the transmission in Park, so I could not get the key out. I immediately turned the ignition back on and this saw me getting a message about something wrong with the glow plugs.

Oh, and from the MY11 versions the MFD is actually a colour MFD. It is just that the normal displays only use monochrome. The alert for this error was a yellow triangle. When I checked with the dealer,they said yes, it actually is a colour display.
    --

Users Country Flag
    The dealer's ODIS diagnostic software would have indicated how often, and when the fault has occurred.

If it's only happened once to your knowledge, you could probably chalk it up to a glitch for now.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    The dealer's ODIS diagnostic software would have indicated how often, and when the fault has occurred.

If it's only happened once to your knowledge, you could probably chalk it up to a glitch for now.
    That's the thinking as it has only ever happened once. I'll go through with the check tomorrow mainly as I am going to be driving around 2,500 km over the next 3 weeks. I need it to get at least 880 km first as there is a VW dealer in Bendigo.
    --

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Just to let you know, I had the issue looked at today.

Unfortunately the first dealer reset the error so the second one could not see it.

They did a full diagnostic on the system. They pressure tested the inlet, checked the sensor and then went on a road test with the laptop connected and all parameters were well within spec.

So it looks like it was a glitch.

It ended up costing $350 but at least I know things should be good.

In the new year I will be investing in a Ross-Tech system.
    --