Thread: Caddy Lowering

Users Country Flag

Caddy Lowering

I am buying a LWB Caddy Comfortline current model to be modified with special equipment for my disabled wife.
    We looked at one today and found it too high for her to climb into.
    She at the moment drives a Jazz which is lowered and measures 230mm to the bottom of the doors from flat ground.
    She can also manage my Getz 295mm to the bottom of the doors.
    Does anybody Know if a Caddy can be legally lowered to this extent?
    We do not want firm "Sports" suspension just something close to normal stiffness.
    Any recommendations for work Southern Brisbane or Logan city.

Thank you in advance
    Gramin

Yes it can be.

There are a couple of options. VW sells the Eibach lowering kit which consists of shortened springs for the front and an axel flip kit for the rear.

There are also aftermarket kits available that consist of the same axel flip kit for the rear and coilovers for the front.

Springs will give you a better ride than the coilovers but won't allow you to go as low.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thank You Horace01
    Looking at the specs the original ground clearance is actually 175mm so we need to lose 75mm
    The Getz ground clearance is 125mm and the Jazz was originally 125mm.
    We dropped the Jazz by 0nly 20mm and that made a HUGE difference to her being able to climb in.
    I will see my suspension bloke and see if he can aim for that. Like I say though because of her disability we want smoothness not harsh sport ride.
    Will not get delivery until JULY though it is still on order.

Users Country Flag
    i know its a pretty expensive option but maybe air ride suspension ? you can drop the car pretty much to the ground when you need to get in and out and rise it up to drive in comfort.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thank you psyone yes air suspension would be too expensive.
    The cost of the other conversions that my wife needs adds another 33% already to the Caddy (conversions for the handycapped are NOT cheap in fact a real ripoff) in Qld they have to be done by Govt approved people then they have to provide a certificate.
    Unfortunately the LWB Caddy is the only car with enough floor length and roof height to take the wheelchair lift and still have 3 passenger seats. The Renault Kangoo will not do as the lwb version is not available with auto tranny.