Support VWWC

Thread: Advice on 2K lowering/coilovers

Users Country Flag

Advice on 2K lowering/coilovers

Hi.

I'm new to the Caddy area (have a 10 year mk2 GTI build thread on this forum) as I've sold my beloved Mk2 GTI.

I race go karts and am about to buy a 2009 Caddy Maxi but was wondering about lowering it.

Any advice on brands would be great! I don't want to go all out and spent a gazillion dollars on bags or KW V3's etc, just something reasonable that isn't cheap crap and will give a decent drop front & rear.

Cheers
    Wade
    -1990 Mk2 GTI 5-door with AMK 20vt (260hp @ wheels)
    -Arrow/Rotax 125 TAG X1E Go Kart

ST's made by KW are good. Cheaper than KW's but a nice compromise between quality and price. Plenty of guys in the UK running them on Caddy.

VMax are pretty much the go to coilovers for the Caddy in the UK and also what I run on my van here in Melbourne.

Lower in the range would be the ProSports.

At the end of the day anything suited to the MK5 Golf will be OK as long as you get the right strut diameter, either 50mm or 55mm depending on your Caddy.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Horace01 View Post
    ST's made by KW are good. Cheaper than KW's but a nice compromise between quality and price. Plenty of guys in the UK running them on Caddy.

VMax are pretty much the go to coilovers for the Caddy in the UK and also what I run on my van here in Melbourne.

Lower in the range would be the ProSports.

At the end of the day anything suited to the MK5 Golf will be OK as long as you get the right strut diameter, either 50mm or 55mm depending on your Caddy.

Ok cool, thanks for that. I saw the ST's on ebay but the rear setup didn't look like it had any form of height adjustment - just a set height???

Quote Originally Posted by GOLFBALLS View Post
    Ok cool, thanks for that. I saw the ST's on ebay but the rear setup didn't look like it had any form of height adjustment - just a set height???
    Send me the link. I'm happy to take a look for you.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Send me the link. I'm happy to take a look for you.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    These bad boys.

vw caddy kw coilovers | eBay

Cheers!

They will work. The photos are all stock photos so don't actually show the rear lowering kit. As you know there are no coil springs on the rear of the Caddy.

You can actually by the KW kit here in Australia but my experience is even when shipping from Europe is cheaper than buying locally. Obviously if you need a warrenty replacement you would have to ship your gear back to the EU.

Using Tapatalk

They will work. The photos are all stock photos so don't actually show the rear lowering kit. As you know there are no coil springs on the rear of the Caddy.

You can actually by the KW kit here in Australia but my experience is even when shipping from Europe is cheaper than buying locally. Obviously if you need a warrenty replacement you would have to ship your gear back to the EU.

Cool thanks man.

I see a few differing spec kits that won't fit the Maxi 1.9TDI with DSG. I'll do a bit of checking. I'm also thinking of getting some 2nd hand Mk6 GTi 18" wheels. The wreck they are off also has the nice GTI seats you have in your van.

Were they difficult to fit in?

I used VW Touran seat bases imported from the UK. The seats are then a direct fit. If you use your Caddy bases you will just need to drill 2 holes in each one so the GTi seat bolts will fit in place. It's very easy.

Be aware the Caddy bases are quite low so the GTi seats will be a little lower than the Caddy seats. This is easily over come be fitting a bunch of washers or spacers if you need to.

With the Touran bases pretty much any VAG seat made since 2008 will be a direct fit.

Using Tapatalk

Hey guys, just after a bit more advice...

Has anyone just put a lowering kit in their Caddy?

I saw a H&R one front & rear for under $1000 but just springs.

Thoughts???

I assume that price also includes the rear axle flip kit, lowering brackets etc?

It's a good kit but wont lower the front too much from standard, maybe 40mm.

To go lower either go for Golf MK5 struts and springs - you'll still need a rear end axle flip kit though - or coilovers.

There are lots of coilover and rear flip kits available that usually include shorter shocks for the rear end too, but only a few of the more expensive brands here in Australia. ie. KW. Plenty of alternative options out of the UK.

I run a VMaxx Xtreme kit myself with adjustable dampening. Not the best kit but does the job.

It will go lower but with camping gear and speedhumps I needed to raise it a bit
    Last edited by Horace01; 10-08-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    Using Tapatalk