Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will an Amarok take me to the same places as a Ranger?

Users Country Flag

Will an Amarok take me to the same places as a Ranger?

I'm in the market to replace my 2010 Passat Highline and have decided I want some adventure. I live in Nth Qld and the idea of getting of the beaten track is very attractive. It seems when it comes to a 4x4 ute there are 2 clear contenders for me. I've now driven the Amarok and Ranger once with plans for overnight test drives soon.
    My thoughts so far are that the VW is definitely the better weekday car and feels much lighter than it really is thanks to the 8 speed auto. It's a familiar cabin to me, is quieter and less thirsty. The Ranger does have a few cabin and tray extras that the VW doesn't have, seems a bit higher, and is more powerful.
    It also has low range and a diff lock. My question is will the VW get to the same places that the Ranger will? It will be my first 4x4 so my plans don't include crossing the continent just yet, but I have my eyes on places like Fraser and southern parts of Cape York.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2010 Passat Highline/DSG/Reflex Silver/Black Napa Leather/Bluetooth/Tint

Users Country Flag
    If you are looking at a ranger then you need to cross-shop the Mazda as well.

I know the Ranger looks better but the Mazda has some subtle differences that made a mate up in FNQ buy the Mazda.

The Amarok fell of his shopping list fairly quickly because he was towing a van and he felt the engine would be overstressed.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Also I have seen adverse remarks regarding towing due to the dual mass flywheel.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

8 speed autos don''t have dual mass flywheels .
    Amarocks are developed in Argentina and refined in Germany to take on allcomers in this market.
    They have smashed it.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    No plans for big towing at all, certainly not anywhere near 3t. The Ranger has a 300mm greater fording depth, sits about 50mm higher and has a diff lock. Will that make a difference if I go to Fraser Is or Cape York?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 Passat Highline/DSG/Reflex Silver/Black Napa Leather/Bluetooth/Tint

Users Country Flag
    There's plenty of Amaroks already been driven all over Fraser Island.

Lot's of people routinely crossing the Simpson too.

Easiest just to ask an Amarok owner that's already done the trips you're thinking of.

The AusAmarok forum is the place to find the info you're after. AusAmarok - Volkswagen Amarok Forum of Australia & New Zealand

I don't go off road in mine, it's set up for towing my racecar. As a tow vehicle they're great. Concerns about engine capacity only come from people who haven't driven them.
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Will an Amarok take me to the same places as a Ranger?

I've had my Amarok with 8spd auto on North Straddie twice in the short time I've owned it and it performed great on the sand. Just let your tyre's down and it went everywhere. In some of the deep ruts it would scrape the front bash plate but nothing to worry. Amarok do have a rear diff lock to by the way.

Don't let the power figures of the Ranger scare you.
    MotorTalk Amarok 2.0 diesel vs Ranger 3.2 diesel - YouTube
    Last edited by Brendan_A; 04-05-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR
    MY20.5 LR Defender P400 HSE

Users Country Flag
    Look in here how the Amarok is holding up wearing only std road tyres.

Daily driver, occasional off-roader, Amarok for sure.

Heavy use off-roading and then I'd pick the Ranger/BT every day of the week. Just note though - their diff lock turns itself off at 10km/h.

Ranger is a full chassis size larger than the Amarok/Dmax/Colorado and depending on how serious your use will be, has a far greater ranger of accessories available to suit.
    Last edited by Stuwey; 27-05-2015 at 08:51 AM.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Choose two.

Users Country Flag

Hey Stu, what do you mean the Ranger is a full chassis size larger than the Rok. Stick your head under both and you will see the Rok's chassis is larger. The Ranger 3.2 may deliver higher output however the Rok gets it to ground much more efficiently. See the link in Brendan_A's post. The 8 speed Auto is a brilliant box (I have and prefer the manual). The Rok's traction control is a lot better than the Ranger and both have rear electronic diff locks.

The Rok will go anywhere the Ranger will with both having strengths and weaknesses over each other. The Ranger may have slightly higher clearances however either vehicle you will likely lift and put underbody armour on. Even so, the lowest clearance on both is the diff which is abou the same on both.

Fording depth, both vehicles would be identical with the addition of a snorkel and diff breathers.

Both vehicles will more than do the job for you. The Rok will deliver power to the ground more efficiently with much better fuel economy and when you are lifting a wheel in the air, the Rok will make better progress than the Ranger when relying on traction control.

BTW, there is no shortages of aftermarket gear for the Rok...... See my build thread

Tornado_ALIVE's Rok Project.
    Last edited by Tornado_ALIVE; 31-05-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast