Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 23R7 Emissions recall campaign

Users Country Flag

23R7 Emissions recall campaign

I have recently had the 23R7 Emissions Recall Campaign applied to my car.

I've had a drop off in the Torque delivery of the car.
    I once had quite a serge from 1300 RRM say in second gear (15Kph), now nothing until 1800-2000. Same in 3rd.
    Whilst max torque and power may not be reduced there is a definite change in the delivery of the torque in the low revs.
    But it's my "feeling" and not hard proof.

*** I would however recommend that you have your car Dyno'd comprehensively tested prior to you updating it with this recall, including the time it takes (in seconds) between 1000-2000 rpm and 2000-3000 rpm. ****

I have been in discussions with the dealer AND VW Customer Care, but progress has stalled and I need to take matters into my control.

So I need the forum's help.

I need a TDI 400 (400NM 120Kw) 6 speed manual that is in the recall program but has not had the ECU update applied (and hasn't had any after market one either).
    I will pay for it to be Dyno tested and compared to my car.
    It will cost you nothing apart from some time. Approx 2 hours plus travel. I'll even supplement your fuel. And you can keep of all your results.
    For a good comparative test to occur the cars are required to be tested buy the same equipment on the same day - so we get a like for like test.
    The test will occur in MONAVALE in SYDNEY.
    Please let me know if you are interested.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    A HUGE thank you to Phil for providing his car for a comparative drive test.
    The Results:
    Feeling (Not very scientific) - I felt that Phil's car (75,000 Klms) felt like my car (25000 Klms) prior to the 23R7 Emissions update being applied... it had a noticeable urgency difference from 1000-3000 rpm to my updated car.
    Measurement 1 - We timed the runs in both cars and averaged them for the comparison. Again Phil's (Non updated) car came out on top. 3.77% faster between 1000-2000 rpm and 3.17 % faster between 2000-3000 rpm.
    Measurement 2 - Dyno provided by the dealer trouble shooting my problem. (Not Phil's car but another 6 speed TDI 400 prior to the 23R7 Emissions update) in this case there was 1.87% loss of torque in my car. But is was the power drop that is most concerning. THERE IS A 5.07% LOSS OF POWER in my car.

For all those that have not had the update done. Ensure you have a dyno prior and post.... it'll be $300 of insurance well spent.
    I'm looking to take this up with the dealer.
    I'll provide an update when I have more.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Poli,

I am sure your have read this thread, but just in case you haven't, here is a link to a 120+ page discussion.

Volkswagen under investigation over illegal software that masks pollution

My 2 cents worth is that it is thermodynamically impossible to clean up the emissions without affecting drivability (power and torque curves), fuel economy, max power and torque, longevity, or servicing costs.

If there was a magic fix, VW would have issued a service bulletin, long ago to fix the problem before being caught out and subject to these massive potential fines and lawsuits.

I own a Passat 125TDI, and i am unlikely to have the fix installed.

Users Country Flag
    you really need to dyno same car before and after. Not one car will make identical power on the dyno to another of same model. Will be close.

Got dyno graphs?

Users Country Flag
    Yeah but nothing beats the butt dyno, if Poli "feels" the car has dropped, then that's enough evidence for me. We all know our own cars, so will be interesting to hear what others think.

Rather concerning news!
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Hello.

The 23R7 fix was applied to my Amarok before I bought it, so I don't know how it felt before. Can anyone suggest someone in Perth who can reverse the fix?
    MY13 Passat 130TDI
    MY12 Amarok 120TDI

Hi,
    I see it's been a while since anyone has posted in this thread. I have a VW Tiguan 2008 that just had the ECU 'fixed' a week ago. Since I've had it done, I have a loss of power in low gear than a surge or power once it kicks into the next gear. I've taken it to the mechanic and he couldn't find any issue with my car and said it's probably an issue with the software. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar issues and know if I can undo the fix. My car was working perfect before the recall. Wish I never had it done

The only fix for this is to:

1) not get it done in the first place

2) go and get a decent aftermarket tune and not look back

The peak output figures of the cars have not changed, so in terms of advertised specifications this does not alter the specifications for your car. However by all accounts it does effect the bottom end performance.

Only way to get this back after you have had the fix applied is to either sell the car and move on or go and get aftermarket software to bring the engine back to life.

Unfortunately VW can't roll back the update once it's been done.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    There is no reverse of the "fix" once applied. My suggestion echo's tigger's, get an ECU tune on the car and get not only the previous performance back, but quite a bit more as a bonus ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

Brickbats to VW Australia who will NOT supply me with the "flow transformer" for my 1.6L Caddy 7 speed. Brickbats to Lismore VW who will NOT supply me either, unless I take the Caddy to them and ALSO have the COMPULSORY Software changes done as well. I don't want the software done. I just want the little tube with the gauze on the end so that the "air-mass sensor" gets a better read on the airflow so that the fuel metering is more efficient. Maybe I can manufacture one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast