Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vw 172 GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Time for some more stripping and more cleaning.

I'm really interested in this thread, since I lost my '78 GTi I've been on the hunt for another one. Glad someone else has got a Mk1 to restore, don't know what it is but there something about Mk1's I love

Quote Originally Posted by 78GTI View Post
    I'm really interested in this thread, since I lost my '78 GTi I've been on the hunt for another one. Glad someone else has got a Mk1 to restore, don't know what it is but there something about Mk1's I love
    That's exactly my problem too 78GTI. Since I can remember I loved Mk1s. Growing up in South Africa I was fortunate enough to see and enjoy Mk1s on a daily basis. One of my best memories ( going back 14 years or more) was a Mk1 turbo smacking a Lamborghini Diablo run after run at the illegal Sunday night drags. The guy in the Lambo eventually cracked it and left fuming.
    Those were some crazy days....

Happy New Year to you all.
    Being the first day of the new year it's probably the right time to go over the 1600cc engine. The plan is to remove the engine and go over it from top to bottom. Open up the engine, and replace or fix to bring it up to that mighty 81 kW lol.
    This is the first time that I've tackled something like this , needles to say I am super excited but also a bit nervous. With some really close friends that's got a world of VW/ Mechanical knowledge I am sure I've got all the backup I need.
    Things I've got so far, new expansion tank, water hose set, gearbox mount, exhaust rubbers, front and rear wheel bearings, head gasket, thermostat, drive belt, ignition leads, water pump, bottom sump gasket and timing belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    Happy New Year to you all.
    Being the first day of the new year it's probably the right time to go over the 1600cc engine. The plan is to remove the engine and go over it from top to bottom. Open up the engine, and replace or fix to bring it up to that mighty 81 kW lol.
    This is the first time that I've tackled something like this , needles to say I am super excited but also a bit nervous. With some really close friends that's got a world of VW/ Mechanical knowledge I am sure I've got all the backup I need.
    Things I've got so far, new expansion tank, water hose set, gearbox mount, exhaust rubbers, front and rear wheel bearings, head gasket, thermostat, drive belt, ignition leads, water pump, bottom sump gasket and timing belt.

Heads up bud, ditch the cork rocker cover gasket and buy the later model rubber 1 piece version , same with the sump gasket, ditch the gasket paper and purchase the rubber newer version or better yet the factory windage tray item.

Valve cover gasket update kit, rubber

Oil pan gasket, rubber

Windage tray with built-in rubber oil pan gasket. Original equipment.

cam splash cover is also a benefit...

Oil baffle for camshaft. Located under valve cover.

If your taking the engine right down then now is the time to re ring and light hone ( if bore wear is acceptable) if the block has to much wear you may be hard pressed to find oversize pistons unless you go to Wossner JE or one of the other after market manufacturers. ( have 2 EG engines here waiting rebore )

Have fun.
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    Growing up in South Africa I was fortunate enough to see and enjoy Mk1s on a daily basis. One of my best memories ( going back 14 years or more) was a Mk1 turbo smacking a Lamborghini Diablo run after run at the illegal Sunday night drags.
    Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I grew up in Jo'burg,and every weekend, there would be illegal drags going on, happening on Jules St, near Primrose. There were, and still are some VERY fast mk1's in SA, and it has the best illegal drags I've ever been to, to this day!!
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Quote Originally Posted by roccodingo View Post
    Heads up bud, ditch the cork rocker cover gasket and buy the later model rubber 1 piece version , same with the sump gasket, ditch the gasket paper and purchase the rubber newer version or better yet the factory windage tray item.

Valve cover gasket update kit, rubberoo

Oil pan gasket, rubber

Windage tray with built-in rubber oil pan gasket. Original equipment.

cam splash cover is also a benefit...

Oil baffle for camshaft. Located under valve cover.

If your taking the engine right down then now is the time to re ring and light hone ( if bore wear is acceptable) if the block has to much wear you may be hard pressed to find oversize pistons unless you go to Wossner JE or one of the other after market manufacturers. ( have 2 EG engines here waiting rebore )

Have fun.
    Thanks for the heads up Grant. I'll take it on board.

So the holidays are over and the progress has slowed down a bit. The engine is out and slowly starting to go through a few bits and pieces. Got the engine running before removing it so it's definitely runnig. Not in a major rush but will replace gaskets and o-rings, drop the sump and fresh oil. Also removed the rocker cover to have a look. Ill give the old donk a clean as I progress.

Also got some shoes for the money pit . Lol

Engine and gearbox removed, time for a fresh lick of paint in the engine bay. Really happy about the condition of the engine bay as I thought there might have been a lot more rust in the old girl.

Why stop at the engine bay, the MK1 will be away to get all the rust removed and resprayed in the original Black L041 !
    Thanks Lucky13 for the tow ��.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast