Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MK1 Ragtop

Users Country Flag

1.6 can be made to go fast but dropping in a 1.8 from a mk3 CL will be faster and a lot cheaper.
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

These sunroofs were aftermarket of course and probably still available for a more modern fitment.Seen a few too.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    1.6 can be made to go fast but dropping in a 1.8 from a mk3 CL will be faster and a lot cheaper.
    Dropping in a 2.0 from a MK3 would be even faster.

Don't bother working on the 1.6 - by the time you've bought all the expensive bits to make it faster you could have bought a 1.8 or 2.0 + coilovers.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Would the 2.0 bolt up to the mk1 4 speed? From what Ive read, the 1.8 is the simplest of the simplest engine conversion, the 2.0 might be a bit of a tight fit

Same external dimensons for 1.6 through to 2.0 they all fit.

2.0 will have about 10mm more deck height. But essentially the same. You're right in saying a 1.8 is a bit easier.

Having said that, if there is nothing wrong with the 1.6, I'd spend my money elsewhere first

Congrats on the pick up, have seen it up there a couple times, and always wanted it!

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Thanks buddy! Needs a good freshen up though haha

Yeah definately going to keep the 1.6 for as long as I can just weighing my options

Users Country Flag
    Give the 1.6 a hard time first, you would be amazed of how much punishment they can take.

And I don't think its a huuuuuge differance in power to the 1.8. Just a little more torque.
    Try replacing the carb to a weber 32/36 progressive with a good exhaust system say "2", and a little more timing. You should be happier with the result. And at the end of the day if you end up poping the 1.6 you will still need all the bits to fit the new motor.

I'm glad you found one before you got married! I would hate for your wife to come home and ask what a 30 year old VW is doing in the drive way!

Can definately say she is as excited as me about getting the ragtop on the road!

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast