Support VWWC

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: MK1 Deisel for the Sh#tbox Rally... a build thread.

Users Country Flag

Can't wait to hear the stories. You going to bring it to the Nationals in Sydney this weekend?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    OK!

All photo's uploaded to facebook... I'll fill everyone in though

Minus Day 1 - Breakdown between Boorowa and Canberra, we stopped for lunch in Boorowa about 20k's from Yass towards home, with no problems, about 5 mins back on the road the golf just died, then ran again after shutting everything off... Then a few hundred up the road, it died again, with no life - it seemed like no fuel, so we took the fuel filter off (which was a hell of a task as the new one had really jammed on) and discovered a blocked feeder, so we thought it was that... BUT this wasn't the problem.

I started to take off the injector lines to see if there were any more blockages, and I bumped the solenoid line for the pump and Dad had left the ignition on, it clicked and I discovered the line had come loose, so we put everything back on and away we went again!

Day 1 - CANBERRA TO HAY

Dressed up in our "Plus 4's" coz we're in a golf, with a massive golf ball on top, which we ditched in canberra due to worries about power and fuel economy...

Pic by Cam of Bad Panda.

We got to Hay trouble free, aside from the massive head winds and poor fuel economy, we lost our buddy group early on and took a while to re-group but thats part of learning the SBR.

DAY 2 - HAY TO SILVERTON
    Bit of rain and an icy gale for the day which was themed up to be Pricilla Queen of the Desert dressups... hundreds of men in drag is quite a site to see...

We went via Ivanhoe and Menindee to Broken Hill, a pretty rough bit of road after the torrential rain from a fortnight before, but we didn't make it to Menindee before disaster struck for the little golf...

This bit of road was really dusty, heavy plumes of red dust streamed behind us, until it turned into blue-black-red mix... my mates in the Benz hauled up behind us because their radio wasn't working and told us to stop (Dad was driving, and totally oblivious to the mirrors...)

Dad knocked it out of gear and first problems first, the engine picked up revs... He turned it off, it didn't stop..
    Before we'd stopped moving I pulled up the bonnet latch (on the passenger side) and jumped out of the car, my initial reaction was that the throttle had jammed open on the rough roads, and I flicked it open and shut a few times which didn't help, then slammed my hand over the intake to shut off the engine.

We had a Peugeot mechanic with us, he suggested it was a run-away engine off blow-by, so we popped off the intake...

It was... not only that, but trying to crank it over we discovered it had hydraulic compression lock... we were gutted, and pushed it on to a triage trailer for the haul to Silverton.

The golf made it to camp before we did, and was pushed up to beside the Bad Panda boys who had lost their windscreen before we even hit dirt that day! They had to kick the screen out and continue without any protection until they got to Broken Hill... balls of steel... Our buddy group had plenty of issues that day, with the Speedweak V8 Merc blowing an oil cooler line as well, thankfully that was fixed roadside and they got to camp safe.

~ To be continued, a 3yr old wants to play...
    Last edited by Jack_It; 30-05-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Day 2 CONTINUED...

We decided to relieve the engine of it's over-oiling, so devised a plan to remove the glow plugs, and crank the engine over to blow out the oil, a huge success in getting everyone covered in oil, we put it all back together (had to take out the injector lines) and with a plume of smoke we were running again! We also made a catch can for the breather to vent into to avoid the oiling again, and blocked off the intake on the top of the airbox.

Day 3: Silverton to Maree

We dropped into the sponsors of the Speedweak Merc in Broken Hill, picked up a new air filter (!!!) and some heavy grade oil just in case.

And made our way to Maree - a 730km day with 500ks of dirt.

The only thing that worried us was the headwind, no matter which way we turned, it turned to face us... which wasn't much fun in a golf we were babying plus all the added gear we had on board. (40L fuel, 20L of water, 2 spare tyres, + equipment)

Fuel up at Yunta

Yunta to Maree

Golf ran exceptionally all day, especially on the dirt as we could happily pump along at 90kph and skip over the rough stuff, open road was a bit different as we could only really get up to 100kph when drafting one of our team members.

We got into Maree fairly late - we were making great time until flat tyres and crazy wheel nuts (different size and pitch front to back) on the Merc set us back a bit, but we were glad for regular stops to be able to keep a close eye on the Golf now declared as Schultz, due to his German sense of humour, and ability to act like nothing happened.

Day 4 - Maree to Birdsville

Maree greeted us with a spectacular sunrise

and many people dressed in Octoberfest themed gear...

Photo by: Lachlan Gardiner

The track was rough, but scenic, with 'only' 500ks to do today, it really tested most cars.

We suffered a flat, but that was the only downside to the day, considering some of the support 4x4's had flats as well, we did fairly well. Other teams had to roll into Birdsville on flat tyres, or had used both spares, and needed replacements.

It's deceptive, but the rock you can clearly see towards the bottom middle-left of the above pic, is actually about the size of 2 fists, you can tell compared to the tyre tracks around it.

Bash plate works.

We got in fairly late to Birdsville, just on Dusk.

Day 5 - Birdsville to Boulia

Birdsville Hotel, where the Beers are $8 a can and the JD & Coke is $11...

Photo by: Lachlan Gardiner

Flawless run on our shortest day 300 odd k's mostly sealed, beautiful smooth tar.

Beauty of a sunset at Boulia

Did I mention it's still bloody windy?

Day 6 - Boulia to Hughenden

More tar! and a trouble free day with some awesome landscapes along the way.

and road trains

We were quite literally the last team out of Boulia that day, we made up good ground with a reliable run from everyone we were in the top 10 teams to arrive and set up camp... it was a nice change.... so it was off for a feed and then our last night in a swag.

Day 7 - Hughenden to Townsville

Where did these guys come from...? We were parked in after the evening roll ins'.

Townsville, a real shower, a real bed...

WE MADE IT

Faultless drive again...but alas a leak... probably from the intermediate shaft seal... dropping about 250ml a day.

The golf was bought by a guy in Support 12, who had his heart set on it before we even left for Canberra, we let him buy it off us pre- auction, rather than drive it home and risk some damage, he freighted it back.

you ACT guys might see it around!

We have every word that it will make an appearance on the 2016 rally which is great.

We picked up this 98 EL falcon for a couple of bucks and cruised home with A/C and power steering.

and legged the next 2500k's back home in it! A total of more than 6300ks in about 10 days!

A massive THANK YOU to all the VWW followers, and those who have supported us with parts and wisdom.
    Last edited by Jack_It; 30-05-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Great write up, mate. Well done again. This is the sort of thing you don't forget.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Users Country Flag
    Congrats on finishing. Great photos but a bit sad to see you swapped the Golf for a Ford, even if it does have air con.

What are your plans for next year?

We were torn, believe me, but Support 12 was so keen and super excited about getting the golf, The engine will be out and restored before next year, I think it was the best choice for the car, we would have hated to have been stuck somewhere 1/2 way home, and instead of a $250 reliable sh*tbox be faced with a $600 freighting fee as well as getting home ourselves.

I don't know yet, I'd like to see the ford moved on to cover costs a bit, If just 'Jack It' gets in again I'll let Dad go with Mum or my little brother, hopefully we get in with some other applications as well, but who knows. Dad is keen on a panel van or a tradie van, and something with more guts than a 1500cc 40yo golf...

I thought a MK2 would be the ideal progression

Users Country Flag
    MK2 would be too much of an upgrade, way too good for the rally.

Good news! The Golf will be doing SBR 2016 - Makay QLD to HOBART!

Not in my hands, but perhaps as a co-driver, I don't know, it was hinted at by the new owner.

BAD News: He blew the radiator this week, and we left the spare in Bad Panda.

I'll keep this updated as best I can

Bad Panda lives on too...

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast