Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MK1 Cabriolet adventure

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I’ll grab a pic of the strips, but it won’t be until the weekend. Ive got a set of 5 at the moment and the driver’s door strip is meant to be on it’s way to me.

It’s a shame because the passenger door closes perfectly. The driver’s door needs some attention to get it right. It sits in about 5mm too far at the front, and sticks out about the same at the back and it needs slamming to close properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    cool
    you may find adjusting the hinges you can get some results
    all can be fixed nowadays
    B
    german - english translations esp vw documents!!

Dismantling 95 Seat Cord'a and 73 campers and 74 dc van !!! Some Mk1 and t2 ant3 gear in my stash,,,

I had a productive day working on the Cabby today. I completely removed the roof fabric, padding and headliner ready for the new stuff to go on.

I also sorted the cluster surround and missing bits from the dash. For the first time since we bought the car the dash isn’t full of holes!

Users Country Flag
    nice
    I have to do that to my Rabbit
    so any outer door trims for me m8 ?
    The other one you recommended had sold all those bits already but taa anyways.

Dismantling 95 Seat Cord'a and 73 campers and 74 dc van !!! Some Mk1 and t2 ant3 gear in my stash,,,

Users Country Flag
    how usable is your old hood?
    and how long to remove it? did you see it done on u-tube...?gd job

did you get pics of the vents and 1 belt?

Quote Originally Posted by karmen View Post
    how usable is your old hood?
    and how long to remove it? did you see it done on u-tube...?gd job

did you get pics of the vents and 1 belt?
    The old hood was cactus unfortunately. It was ripped most of the way round the rear window and full of big holes so not in any state to use.

It took about 4 hours to remove it all. Yeah I did a bit of reading up on the process and watched a how to on YouTube. There are some detailed guides out there, but removing it isn’t too bad although there are some fiddly bits. I just took my time and also took lots of pictures.

Putting it back together in the next few weeks will be the big challenge!

I’ll send pics of the trims in a minute. Just missing the driver’s door at the moment.

Presents arrived from the US today! I’m a bit iffy on the foam padding so I might track down a proper rubberised horse hair one, but the hood and headliner look great : )

Spamming my own thread here!

A bit more progress today. Almost finished installing the headlining now. Just needs riveting up in the front corners, and gluing / hooking up under the parcel shelf which will pull out the remaining creases.

I’m waiting for the horse hair padding to turn up from the UK and then I can crack on with the rest of it!

Great Job!
    I have vivid memories of replacing the top on our old mk1cabby, we did it over a weekend and it was great. It was good I think doing it without too much dilly dally as you remember just how it goes back together without too much pain

Good luck!

EDIT - pay close attention to the configuration and "intended" function of the top window rubber seals. I managed to fix some leaks by using black neutral cure sealant to replace these seals onto the steel frame during reassembly, and I was glad I took the time to do it. We never managed to eliminate leakage at the front corners, however. This i found was partly because the front top seal (the one that is fixed to the chassis above the windcreen) was terminally squashed and really needed to be replaced.
    Last edited by gldgti; 13-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag

Hey Shortstuff

am back now,
    how's the roof progressing?
    Any trim for me left?
    hope you could make use of some items if not please incl.in trim box or pass it on to someone who needs it please mate.
    regards B / K
    Last edited by karmen; 11-12-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast