Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Georges GTi

Users Country Flag

Georges GTi

Hi friends,

So after so many years of dreams and hopes, I've finally found my dream car. I've recently purchased a 1983 GTi Campaign. When I was younger my older brother had an awesome MK1 which i loved with all my heart and kickstarted my passion for the mk1, (some of you may know I've owned 4-5 haha) and have always wanted a GTi, but either they were too expensive, or hard to find - or both. So I've finally been able to afford one now being grown up somewhat (lol thats a lie), and found one with a perfect platform for what I wanted. This example has been hit front and rear, and needs fixing. The reason I've decided to do this, is the simple fact, if in 2-3-4 years I wish to play around with different engines/wheels/etc the purist can't eat me alive for ruining a perfectly fine campaign hahaha, but don't worry I wont ruin it, returning it to as close to original is my goal. I'm happy to be taking this project on, as I hate to see any golfs go to waste, let alone a proper GTi.

The front has been somewhat repaired by the previous owner, so I will leave it at this stage, although I believe they welded the front apron in skewed and will need re-aligning to get it perfect. Enough chat, here's some pics.

I am planning on breaking this build/project up into smaller tasks, as over the years I've learned it's how I work best. So first step will be to get the engine running, the GTi is missing quite a few bits and will require, drive shafts, full exhuast, fuel pump, sway bars, rocker cover, and a few other goodies.

After I get the engine started my main mission before XMAS time is to get the rear end repaired. I have spoken to a restorer in Dandenong by the name of PJ's Restorations, and they have great reviews and seam pretty switched on. I will be looking for the best possible workshop to carry these repairs out, as I wish them to be as perfect as possible, no short cuts taken. Along with the GTi, I have been supplied a floor and chassis cut out section of the same year model, which will aid in the chassis repair.

Once the rear is sorted, I will prepare it for rwc, and club permit. I do not intend to paint any panels, or paint match. I want to enjoy the car for a few months-year and make the most of it while i find all the missing bits and collect all the required bits to complete her.

In terms of engine, there are a few options. Leave the standard motor, which I'm considering for the first time in my entire life of owning cars lol. If not, options are, 20vt stage 2 k04 - turbo the 1.8 kjet lump in it currently - 20v head onto current block with ITB's - or my all time favourite motor swap of all time, K20A, but i think too many people will be butt hurt by this one so it wont be likely to happen, plus getting that registered .... wow haha.

After engine is complete (talking a few years now) I intend on stripping the entire car down, and doing a complete ground up restoration with every nut and bolt, etc. Time will tell, but if I break up my stages, I will enjoy every bit of the car, and the steps rather than doing it all in one go. I'm genuinely keen for this project, and happy to share it with you fellow vww'ers.

George
    Last edited by GeorgeMK1; 03-09-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Eeeeeexcellent.
    Looking forward to seeing this take shape.

Users Country Flag
    I've got goosebumps looking at those pictures.

Here's my old one which I sold about 14 years ago to a guy in Tassie.

Georges GTi-img_2457-jpg

Georges GTi-img_2466-jpg

Georges GTi-img_2472-jpg

I'd love to know the history of yours.
    Last edited by sports racer; 04-09-2016 at 01:55 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Wow Paul, she's lovely! I bet you wish you still had her hehe.

History on this is blurred, but I know it wasn't rego'd in Aus until only a few years ago, so doubt it's the same one!
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag
    It's funny but it was the worst MK1 I ever had. Because it was an original GTI I didn't modify it. It handled like a 1983 car which may have been good at the time but a well driven Hyundai would leave it for dead.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    K20A, but i think too many people will be butt hurt by this one so it wont be likely to happen, plus getting that registered .... wow haha.
    hahaha tbh a k20a should be cool to see but keeping it inside the VW Heritage and that a reckon a 20vt ko4 would suffice man !!!
    but such a rad car dude, il defiantly keep my eye on this build !!!
    what would be your absolute dream build for this car if you could do it all right this second man ?
    Passion Garage
    - Grab Stickers/Merch - We can also source parts, refurb wheels, install Coilovers -

Good pick up that doesn't look too bad considering your approach

Best check the changes to club plates, you would now need an M plate for any engine swap.
    In the old days you could do anything without engineering(!!!) which is why they changed it, people were putting 500hp LS motors in **** heaps with drum brakes...

If you are using OEM type fitting (even later models) that will not be an issue, so something like a 16v on ITB's will not even been seen as an issue, but turbo's will. But being a common swap with quality parts it should fly through the engineering if you are sensible (ie brakes to match!)

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    It's funny but it was the worst MK1 I ever had. Because it was an original GTI I didn't modify it. It handled like a 1983 car which may have been good at the time but a well driven Hyundai would leave it for dead.
    At the end of the day, it always come down to driver mate! It's funny you say that, as I feel I shouldn't modify this one at all either hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by PassionGarage View Post
    hahaha tbh a k20a should be cool to see but keeping it inside the VW Heritage and that a reckon a 20vt ko4 would suffice man !!!
    but such a rad car dude, il defiantly keep my eye on this build !!!
    what would be your absolute dream build for this car if you could do it all right this second man ?
    Heritage has been done and dusted along with 20vt dude, gotta think outside the box. Anyway, not quite sure I don't have an image in mind for this like I normally do for my builds just yet, maybe after the rear is repaired I will get an idea.

Basically do full house suspension mods and get it handling like a go cart, and worry about the rest later. Enjoyable and fun, are two words I would like to encorporate!

Quote Originally Posted by Notso Swift View Post
    Good pick up that doesn't look too bad considering your approach

Best check the changes to club plates, you would now need an M plate for any engine swap.
    In the old days you could do anything without engineering(!!!) which is why they changed it, people were putting 500hp LS motors in **** heaps with drum brakes...

If you are using OEM type fitting (even later models) that will not be an issue, so something like a 16v on ITB's will not even been seen as an issue, but turbo's will. But being a common swap with quality parts it should fly through the engineering if you are sensible (ie brakes to match!)
    I've heard of the M plates, and seen them - but what is it and what is the procedure?

Speaking to Peter (Petska84) we had an idea of dropping another head, IE 20vt head and turbo setup or just a N/A 20v head with ITB's onto the 8v block, as they are the same blocks - that way I can avoid having to "changing" engines in terms of vicroads, as the engine number is stamped on the block. So that's an option too I guess!
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

As far as I know you get a engineering certificate and the forms log what the mods are, you then have the annual inspection that verifies that you haven't modded it more. If you have a turbo that is OEM, then you put a whopping big GT35 on they just see it is turbo, not the detail, but if it is not turbo, you can't get it added without the initial inspection

Sounds like a good idea, and that will mean no police hassle either!! Which is great,

But I think for what I'll be doing, stock standard exterior and interior, I should be able to get away with a turbo, or even if I go 20v head on ITB's it wont be a legal issue. Anyhow, time will tell.

Fella's just in case anyone is looking, I'm after the following goods:

100mm Drive shafts
    kjet fuel pump (or if anyone knows what else I can use?)
    Exhaust - headers, and full exhaust
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast