Thread: Importing Modified Mk1 Golf from U.K.

Users Country Flag

Importing Modified Mk1 Golf from U.K.

Hi everyone just after a bit of help I'm moving to oz and like to bring my 1992 Mk1 convertible it's currently having TFSI conversion question is how do you import it?
    It will have modified gearbox brakes etc.

The current guidelines say you need a vehicle import approval before your allowed to import it. Anyone else been in a similar position? I've looked at the RAW garages but they seem to be for conversion of US spec cars. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated- thanks

Users Country Flag
    if you have owned and driven (with proof) for at least 12 months you can just import on personal import, depending on how modified it looks, they dont allow engine swaps generally but if it looks stock you might be ok,
    Personal Imports Option

Users Country Flag
    They have been getting a bit tough with asbestos lately, mainly in cars from the US AFAIK, but the UK is also on the list..
    Depending on which state you are going to, you'll probably need an engineering certificate for the mods before it can be registered. The Queensland rules are set out here.
    Greg
    2002 New Beetle Turbo

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks folks, from what I've read I have to gain approval from the Australian government before I ship it then I'd have to get a roadworthy certificate before it's even driven in whichever state we settle in probably Victoria the engine won't be stock as it's 2.0 CDL it's basically the Audi S3 TFSi 265 bhp. If anyone's got any other suggestions I'd be really grateful.

It needs an asbestos clearance and an engineering certificate before you can apply for registration as a minimum to be imported and driven. You need proof of ownership for a certified period also and a heap of other stuff as well. Asbestos is the big one, they will strip the car to a shell if you have not got the necessary clearance and you pay for everything including re-assembly and the bill is always very large I believe....

Australian Border Force detects asbestos in classic cars, owners risk thousands of dollars in fines and fixes

I reckon the Golf will have asbestos in it, body sealer, brakes etc. The engineering will not be cheap either and there are regulations as to engine size and power on motor swaps. If it has got any rust it will not get a roadworthy certificate as a general rule.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    It needs an asbestos clearance and an engineering certificate before you can apply for registration as a minimum to be imported and driven. You need proof of ownership for a certified period also and a heap of other stuff as well. Asbestos is the big one, they will strip the car to a shell if you have not got the necessary clearance and you pay for everything including re-assembly and the bill is always very large I believe....

Australian Border Force detects asbestos in classic cars, owners risk thousands of dollars in fines and fixes

I reckon the Golf will have asbestos in it, body sealer, brakes etc. The engineering will not be cheap either and there are regulations as to engine size and power on motor swaps. If it has got any rust it will not get a roadworthy certificate as a general rule.
    I think it might be worth going back to stock i.e. Original 1.8 engine and box the rest of the car is standard, not sure how I'd find out if it's got abestos or not the brakes are all upgraded with new stuff.. I don't think it has rust it's been well looked after, do you need a certificate before you get the customs clearance? Etc. Thanks for the help 😊

Putting it back to stock may make the asbestos problem worse in some ways. A lot of old gaskets had asbestos in them whereas the new more modern ones might not have as much if any. I would think long and very hard about importing this car into Australia without doing a lot of research and written assurances if it was me due to the many problems. We haven't even begun to talk about seat belts, radios not working and most probably other regulatory stuff I don't know about. Best of luck with the car and the move and I hope all goes as well as you expect.

Users Country Flag
    its actually pretty simple and being a personal import most ADRs are waived, seat belts standards from US and UK are both accepted as complying with local standards, the asbestos testing must be performed to NATA standards which is Australian, you would need to find someone in the UK to do this, there are people who do this in the US as I had my car done, they found asbestos in the head gasket and it was replaced in the US before it is shipped, leaving it until it arrives can lead to massive fines and more expensive remediation, as for engine swap check out VSB14, it is the guideline used by all states, they all have slightly differing interpretations of it but, generally if its less than 25% increase in HP or engine capacity it can be self engineered, also the engine cannot be older than the car, a big thing is all emission control gear needs to be in place and cat etc, for what a cabs worth over here it may not be worth it, you wouldnt pay much more than $3-4k for a tidy one, shipping will run at least that,
    food for thought,
    Ive imported many cars over the years and one in the last few months so if you need any info PM me,
    Cheers Russ...

Users Country Flag
    just get my stock but engineered 1.8 5speed cabbie ...its very straight 89 std K-jet but BIG potential no hassles for rwc
    and add what u want here for the $ u saved
    contact me via email or pm for all the specs and stats K
    german - english translations esp vw documents!!

Dismantling 95 Seat Cord'a and 73 campers and 74 dc van !!! Some Mk1 and t2 ant3 gear in my stash,,,

Just my 2 cents.
    Firstly good luck with it, I tried to import my non VW, lol with me when I immigrated here from uk 13 years ago. I gave up on my attempt as it was too complicated. I had a new engine that was 250bhp over standard, unfortunately as a custom engine back then it didn't register as such a thing unfortunately, my ginormous brake upgrade was another issue as to get engineering certificate, suspension upgrade also needed certification, wheels also too big being 3" over factory. There was an endless list.

For me as I said I gave up and sold it for not much money.
    I hope that you have less hoops to jump through and your successful with it.
    Just car modifications are not as simple as they are over there.