Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gordie's MK1 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Those wheels and the slim black bumpers really suit.

If ever you think of selling that steering wheel let me know.
    Cheers - I have a few wolfsberg steering wheels. Message me.

Quote Originally Posted by Petska84 View Post
    Mint..........love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinto View Post
    Niiiiiiiice!
    Thanks guyz

Quote Originally Posted by dubstar View Post
    One thing is that you need to turn the front bumper end caps up the right way.
    Haha - yeah, I realised after I took the photos. I flipped them around. I'm trying to source some CF ones
    Audi S3 8L - Stroker GTX3582 700bhp+
    Golf GTI 1980
    Golf GLS 1979
    www.facebook.com/etunersmotorsportau

Looks amazing man. Probably one of my now favourite mk1s!

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

Been doing some work on the GTI lately!

- Swapped out the 'Vogtland' coilovers (which are for sale now) for a set of KW V3 coilovers, along with balljoint extenders and 28mm rear sway bar. Today I went and got wheel alignment. Car handles very well, with minimal body roll, can really push it thru corners without the worry of under steering into a front yard ha.

- Also found got myself a cheap set of 15' RS's ( thanks Ray!) that I will be rebuilding in my spare time.

- Next up some 205/50/15 Semi slicks, and some bigger brakes on the front. Leaning towars VR6/G60 front caliper - 280mm discs. The rear already has mk3 disc conversion.

Golf GTI 1980
    Golf GLS 1979

Users Country Flag
    Very cool. Can I ask which ball joint extenders you got?

Users Country Flag
    Ball joint extenders really need to be welded in to be safe for road use, similar to the kit SCCH sells. I hope for your sake that you don't have a bolt in kit as they are known to snap due to the cracking that can occur at the transition into the extended post. They also required the use of flipped tie rods, otherwise bump steer will be horrendous.
    Last edited by Browneye; 06-01-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    77 Mk1 GLS 2 door - That sinking feeling
    76 Mk1 Swallowtail 2 door - Replace that BMW & 76 Sweetheart

Users Country Flag
    Ditto ^

Lots of talk about them on Club GTI forum and what happens when they break.

Only needed on very low cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
    Ball joint extenders really need to be welded in to be safe for road use, similar to the kit SCCH sells. I hope for your sake that you don't have a bolt in kit as they are known to snap due to the cracking that can occur at the transition into the extended post. They also required the use of flipped tie rods, otherwise bump steer will be horrendous.
    Where does it need to be welded?

Yes - I will be flipping the tie rods this weekend. Not quite sure which ball joint extenders they are, got them a while back.
    Golf GTI 1980
    Golf GLS 1979

Users Country Flag
    They should be bolted into the hub where the old ball joint originally went, then welded to the hub itself. This will effectively moving the ball joint mount further down permanently. There is no going back once this is done however.

Although they are a massive improvement for extremely lowered cars, they will improve the handling to some degree on any mk1. This is because the change in angle of the control arms raises the roll centre closer to the centre of gravity, reducing body roll. For lowered cars, once the control arms are beyond parallel to the ground, the body roll is significantly worsened, hence why ball joint extenders have more of an impact for lowered mk1s
    77 Mk1 GLS 2 door - That sinking feeling
    76 Mk1 Swallowtail 2 door - Replace that BMW & 76 Sweetheart

Would'nt recommend welding these extenders in place as they are usually manufactured from heat treated 4140 ( if they have any quality, and the images suggest this ) which unless you have access to a coded welder and specific weld procedure you will most certainly be creating weld stress cracks.

If you wish to pursue this then I would certainly advise you employ a metallurgist and have a proper and thorough procedure established to minimize the risk this can potentially expose you and any other individual to as well as possible law suites. That is why the sellers blatantly inform you "not for street use "'

Good luck.
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Quote Originally Posted by roccodingo View Post
    Would'nt recommend welding these extenders in place as they are usually manufactured from heat treated 4140 ( if they have any quality, and the images suggest this ) which unless you have access to a coded welder and specific weld procedure you will most certainly be creating weld stress cracks.

If you wish to pursue this then I would certainly advise you employ a metallurgist and have a proper and thorough procedure established to minimize the risk this can potentially expose you and any other individual to as well as possible law suites. That is why the sellers blatantly inform you "not for street use "'

Good luck.
    Exactly my thoughts, they are heat treated 4140. I think I'll just leave them
    Golf GTI 1980
    Golf GLS 1979

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast