Support VWWC

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Georges GTi

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Managed to drop the old gearbox last night and got everything ready to swap in the 02j.
    Here's all the linkages removed.

Pressed in the gearbox bush at work and got home excited to get to action. Got the gearbox under the car ready to put in.

I decided to re-use the old clutch as I was a bit to lazy to swap to the g60 flywheel/vr6 clutch to be honest haha.

After 45 mins of trying to align it, I figured somethings gotta be wrong. So pulled the gearbox back down, and found that the clutch splines of the mk1 and the splines of the 02J are different, hence why I NEED to use the g60 flywheel and vr clutch.

Ok fun times ahead. Clutch comes off and eventually with a bit of struggle the flywheel too. I guess its a good thing this happened, as the clutch didn't look to be in good shape after all.

Now a question for the Gurus. At some point in the gti's life the heater core was removed. Someone then blocked off the taps, and even looped the pipe. I need and want to return the heater core, as well as for RWC purposes. I know that the top hose goes to one side of the core, and that one of the looped hoses goes to it too, but what about the other end of the looped hose?

At the end of the night I got to play around with the shifter box again, contemplating how to have it set up. I'd love to polish the box and powdercoat all the fittings so you can see all the levers move while changing gears, but I'm yet to decide.
    I was also thinking of raising it above the centre console to have it exposed and shiny. Will have to play around during the weekend.

In the mean time, I got the gearknob on. Its soooo heavy and makes it so fun to shift around.
    This is what the best gear knob in the world looks like

Thats it for this small update. Here is a pic of our new and super messy carport/soon to be garage set up at my old mans place while we sort out locations for all the tools etc.

- Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag
    Love the idea of the exposed shifter Georges GTiGeorges GTiGeorges GTi

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    The top hose goes to the manifold (not needed and you probably don't have a hose connection on your manifold). The 2 ends of the looped hose go to the 2 ends of the core.

Good to see this coming along.

Cheers

Paul

PS. The old gearshift looks like something out of an ancient 70's car.
    Last edited by sports racer; 23-09-2017 at 01:53 PM.

looking good mate
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Very nice my friend.
    Audi S3 8L - Stroker GTX3582 700bhp+
    Golf GTI 1980
    Golf GLS 1979
    www.facebook.com/etunersmotorsportau

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    looking good mate
    Quote Originally Posted by 16v_kid View Post
    Very nice my friend.
    Thanks fellas

Not too much progress as I've been spending all my time on the van, but still managed to get the 02j in. Had some fitment issues with the conversion parts I got from TECH53, so I decided to use my old side gearbox mount I made, and it all fit straight up. I have a feeling maybe the 2.0 sport 02j isn't the same as the mk4 GTi box? It should be, but not sure why the TECH53 mount isn't fitting - I'll have to play around a bit more.

Anyway, I noticed the engine was leaking coolant and found it coming from the water pump. While looking at the water pump, I noticed the engine mount was shot as well.
    So took the engine mount off and have pressed in my old (new) bush from the 20vt mount at work. Just yet to put it back in.
    I had to get rid of so many things just to be able to get to the engine mount zzzz.

While fighting for time at work, other projects and getting this ready for RWC I tried to squeeze in 10 minutes here and there for the shifter mechanism and also hydro clutch planning. The hydro clutch will be super easy to do and have already planned it out. Just need the time.
    Shifter mechanism is also slowly coming together.
    Have cut the edge off and trying to fit it nice and snug inside the centre console. It just about fits, this was a quick test to see how it goes. Still have a tiny bit of trimming to do and final adjustments without carpet to get a nice fit.

My dieselgeek short shifter cam in too, along with a complete rebuild kit for the shifter box. I have a dieselgeek shifter in the mk6 already and I loveeeee it - so super excited to have it in the mk1. Should make for a really fun shift, especially with the weighted knob.

I've got some free time this weekend, so hopefully take a few steps forward with the build
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag
    Looking good George.

Love how you've got the shifter to fit so it will look standard.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Looking good George.

Love how you've got the shifter to fit so it will look standard.

Cheers

Paul
    Thanks, Paul. To be honest, I'm still not sure if that how I will have it or if I will do something crazy with it. I might just do this to pass RWC then go a bit nuts with the shifter.
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Went to World Time Attack Challenge over the weekend and came home with heaps of motivation. Thought to myself, I better finish off the water pump and move on with the build ... yeah right.
    First I put in the engine mount with fresh mount and moved on to the water pump.
    All the bolts were seized and super hard to get off, so I struggled lots!!

Started removing covers, marked the timing belt and removed that too, to get access the whole water pump unit/housing.

Finally got the whole water pump housing out after a while.

New vs old.

Struggled so much to get the water pump off of the housing. All the bolts were super rusty. Luckily for me 4 of the bolts snapped in half and remained in the housing. I now have two options.
    1) Someone is nice enough to donate a waterpump/thermostat housing to me so I can add my new shiny waterpump to it.
    2) I drill out the broken bolts and spend 2 days cleaning all the crap out of the housing to reuse - yay exciting times.

With seeing the condition of the waterpump and thermostat, I'm almost afraid to know how the engine is. Maybe its nice a clean, maybe not. At this stage my main concern is to get it RWC so I can get it registered, and after that I can gladly spend more time on each area that need attention.

It's really odd because the more time I spend with the GTi, the more strange things I realise.
    It has a lot of cool modified bits, obviously rear discs, but also has braided lines, new poly pushes almost everywhere, new gear linkage bushes, adjustable damper shock absorbers and aftermarket springs etc. But on the other hand, lots of mistakes too, such as front LH/RH shocks on the wrong way, bolts and nuts finger tight, missing parts all over the place and other small issues I cant think of.
    It's like the car was looked after, and then god knows what happened after that.

I havn't had too much time to spend on the GTi at this moment with other things going on, but I'm enjoying taking my time on it for once and giving all the little issues the time they deserve.
    More to come
    Last edited by GeorgeMK1; 18-10-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag

Geezuz George,
    it's hard to keep track on what your doing, don't know whether your next post is here or the Transporter section!
    you must have a good memory, jumping between each car every week. enjoying both builds!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast