Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Georges GTi

Users Country Flag

Why not stick with the 1.8 8v but do the usual mods which should be good for around 150hp. Add to that some decent suspension work and you should have a fully legal car that looks pretty standard but will give you a smile from ear to ear.

I know that's the safe approach which will keep everyone happy but you've really got your hands tied with this car. It's an original Campaign and that will always limit what you can do. That's why I'm glad I sold mine and now have a plain LS that I can do with what I want. Paint it pink with little angels? Sure, why not. Mine's not a rare (and valuable) real GTI.

Have fun.

Cheers

Paul

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Very good point indeed Paul, and I guess it will hurt a lot of feeling if any modifications do happen!

To be honest it's way too early to know what will happen, as I said the plans are to keep it as original inside and out as possible, but might play with engine in the next year or two, either way, it will be a fun car to drive

I'm keen to see how you get on with the LS mate
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

True Paul, but if he is keeping to 20v or anther common VAG the engine comes in and out on readily available mounts that don't mod the chassis, so it can all be undone

Users Country Flag
    Good to see this car then plated '083-GTI' is still around.

From memory, it was rear ended around 2008/09 and shunted into another vehicle in Geelong. Purchased from Tasmania.

The owners user name was Golfworx/Oneofthegreats.

The car was sent down the Calder Park quarter mile many times. It had been fitted with a turbo charger.

After the accident he was quoted round $10,000 to repair. The engine was then fitted to another golf and the GTI sold a few years later.

I'm sure there's some pictures somewhere on this site.

Regards

Michael
    Last edited by cab93; 18-09-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Users Country Flag
    You sure this isn't my old car?

Mine went to Tassie around 2002/2003.

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    You sure this isn't my old car?

Mine went to Tassie around 2002/2003.
    Still here as you sold it.
    The other damaged one never came here but expat Dubtoffee had it but sold back to the original owner.
    That is an easy repair really just needs a good shop with the right gear.It was one of the best Mk1 GTI 's I've seen and should only ever be restored to original.If you want to build a hot rod use an old clapper.

Cool!!

I love the Pirelli wheels!

Users Country Flag
    The idea of a k20a really sounds awesome. Get a set of metal punches for the #'s and shave honda off the valve cover. Noone needs to know

Users Country Flag
    Until you post the first picture of the engine bay and get disowned by everyone from your mum to your best mates dog.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by cab93 View Post
    Good to see this car then plated '083-GTI' is still around.

From memory, it was rear ended around 2008/09 and shunted into another vehicle in Geelong. Purchased from Tasmania.

The owners user name was Golfworx/Oneofthegreats.

The car was sent down the Calder Park quarter mile many times. It had been fitted with a turbo charger.

After the accident he was quoted round $10,000 to repair. The engine was then fitted to another golf and the GTI sold a few years later.

I'm sure there's some pictures somewhere on this site.

Regards

Michael
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the insight, its great to know a bit more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
    Still here as you sold it.
    The other damaged one never came here but expat Dubtoffee had it but sold back to the original owner.
    That is an easy repair really just needs a good shop with the right gear.It was one of the best Mk1 GTI 's I've seen and should only ever be restored to original.If you want to build a hot rod use an old clapper.
    The plan is to restore it to its full glory, so no hot rod lol. There are a lot of parts missing and will take some time to search and find all the bits to make it what it was in it's glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAurelius View Post
    The idea of a k20a really sounds awesome. Get a set of metal punches for the #'s and shave honda off the valve cover. Noone needs to know
    Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Until you post the first picture of the engine bay and get disowned by everyone from your mum to your best mates dog.
    It would be awesome, but after strong considerations I might K20 my cabby instead and leave the GTi bone stock fellas !
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast