Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Distributor three wires?????????

Users Country Flag

Electronic Distributor three wires?????????

Hi guys, I have a electronic dizzy from a cab with advance that i would like to fit in the mk1 but not shore where the 3 wires go.

+,-,and 0????? can anyone pls help.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Petska84 View Post
    Hi guys, I have a electronic dizzy from a cab with advance that i would like to fit in the mk1 but not shore where the 3 wires go.

+,-,and 0????? can anyone pls help.
    Have you not got the loom and amplifier? It's no good without the whole system. Then it just plugs together and has a ground and ignition live connection IIRC

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I only have the dizzy, what does the amp look like?? can i also use a m.s.d amp rather the original one?

Users Country Flag
    Google Image Result for http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/fowvaydriver/ElectronicIgnition.jpg

Here's a picture of the whole caboodle. I think you would be best advised to get the lot from somewhere and save on some headaches. The electronic coil is different to a points one as well. so you need that too. The wiring would then all be plug and play.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    The same loom is used in the JD/JE Camiras You can unravel the engine bay loom to find a stand alone ignition loom inside it. Same module too.
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    The same loom is used in the JD/JE Camiras You can unravel the engine bay loom to find a stand alone ignition loom inside it. Same module too.
    SCORE!!!!!!!!!!

Users Country Flag

I have read there is a resistive wire to the coil on the australian models that needs to be replaced to power the elec ignition, does anyone have further information on that?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipson View Post

I have read there is a resistive wire to the coil on the australian models that needs to be replaced to power the elec ignition, does anyone have further information on that?

That's the ballast resistor. When you crank the car the coil gets fed battery voltage, so you get a better spark. Once running the resistor drops the voltage, I forget how much, might be 6 Volts. As the coil is rated at less than 12Volts, running the old points coil is a bad idea because it will fail due to the extra voltage.

Can't remember where the resistor is though, sorry.

Gavin

Thanks heaps guys, and the reason of this is I have done the conversion on the mk1 1.8 abs engine with the 5 speed it's awsome.....but................... The engine starts to break down.(miss fire) at about 5000 Rpm or so. And this is why I would like to change it. And should be more reliable to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gipson View Post

Thanks heaps Gavin for the diagram,

I got myself a module of a old Audi 80 but no loom, made my own by soldering the wires on the module pins, hooked it up and run good. But not shore about the ground wire if it dose anything???? That's the number 2 pin on the module, I un hooked it and the car still worked????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast