Thread: Easiest way to drain a fuel tank?

Easiest way to drain a fuel tank?

What's the easiest way to drain a fuel tank?

Car is a '76 mk1 golf GLS (auto if it makes a difference). There doesn't appear to be a tank drain plug. Can I disconnect the fuel line at the engine bay fuel filter and apply 12v directly to the fuel pump? If so, is it easy to connect 12v to the fuel pump?

Any advise appreciated.
    Last edited by datzed; 24-10-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Users Country Flag
    You might run the risk of burning out the fuel pump when the fuel gets low.

I would just loosen the clamp and remove the fuel line directly at the fuel tank, although its very messy. Good luck!
    Also glad to see you still have the mk1, if it's the same one you had years ago on the bbs?

- Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    You might run the risk of burning out the fuel pump when the fuel gets low.

I would just loosen the clamp and remove the fuel line directly at the fuel tank, although its very messy. Good luck!
    Also glad to see you still have the mk1, if it's the same one you had years ago on the bbs?

Hey George! Yup still got it. I'm actually getting it ready for sale sometime soon (sadly). Just doesn't get driven that much.

Thanks for the advise also. Removing the fuel line directly at the fuel tank, is this from underneath the car?

I have had experience with emptying out fuel contaminated with water on my diesel. If it's the same as the petrol, there is a rubber hose connecting the tank to the fuel line under from memory the RHS. I also removed the cover under the rear seat & using a hand suction pump + my wife's smaller hand wearing gloves holding a sponge/rag to remove the last small amount. After filling with new clean fuel, I used the starter to pump & flush the fuel line. In my case there is a bit more but only would apply if yours was a diesel.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Thanks jets. I'll have a look in the area you've described. So unusual for a fuel tank to not have a drain plug. Especially for a car of this vintage.

Users Country Flag
    Ah, will be sad to see it go. Fell in love with it when I first saw it many years ago.

Anyhow, as jets mentioned, it will be on the rh side. Best thing to do is to loosen the line, get a container to try and catch the fuel (try being the key word), then remove the rubber hose whilst jacking up the lh side of the car to help drain it dude.
    Goodluck
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Easiest way to drain a fuel tank?

Assuming your Golf is the same as ‘most’ sedans/hatches then there should be a cover in the floor pan under the rear seat which will give you access to the fuel sender/pump unit which when removed will put you directly inside the tank. A hand pump can then be used plus a visual inspection is also possible. Easiest way to drain a fuel tank?

Cheers dave
    Last edited by weonarok; 26-10-2017 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weonarok View Post
    Assuming your Golf is the same as ‘most’ sedans/hatches then there should be a cover in the floor pan under the rear seat which will give you access to the fuel sender/pump unit which when removed will put you directly inside the tank. A hand pump can then be used plus a visual inspection is also possible. Easiest way to drain a fuel tank?

Cheers dave
    Thanks dave. Hopefully that will be plan be if I cant get to it from underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    Ah, will be sad to see it go. Fell in love with it when I first saw it many years ago.

Anyhow, as jets mentioned, it will be on the rh side. Best thing to do is to loosen the line, get a container to try and catch the fuel (try being the key word), then remove the rubber hose whilst jacking up the lh side of the car to help drain it dude.
    Goodluck
    Thanks for the kind words man. I too will miss it, but having a mk1 as well as a beetle is just too many 'old cars' for me to maintain. Otherwise I'd definitely keep this.