Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: DUBSTAR'S PROJECT - Weiss Hase - 1976 Golf LS

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Next on the list is 1 of 3 things:

1) Get the parts where I have treated rust resprayed. I just want to do some patches, not a full respray.

2) Upgrade the brakes, suspension and wheels/tyres. I have almost all the parts already.

3) Redo the interior. I have new door cards and will order a new carpet set. But I am really struggling to find some nice replacement seats. I want some Mk2 seats/Mk1 Cabby seats/Recaros, but they have to be nice condition.

The stereo is not for sale sorry as I want to keep original parts with the car.

I haven't had much time to do anything recently, but managed to fit in a few hours to correct the brake light set-up that was in Andy when I got him.

The set-up looked like this:

However, what is really funny, is that the wires were connected in such a way that this switch did nothing! The car was running off the original hydraulic brake light switches that are connected at the master cylinder. I guess someone put it tiogether, figured the brake lights still worked and left it at that?!?!?

Anyway, I plan on running a later master cylinder without the hydraulic switches and, since I went ahead and purchased a replacement brake light switch anyway, I thought I might as well correct the issue now.

I actually found a motorbike universal brake light switch that would work much better in the Mk1. Here's a pic:

You can buy them from ebay here. It is made by K&S and has a part number 12-0001

The Mk1 pedal cluster is set up perfectly for this switch. All you need to do is drill a 10/12mm hole (mine was already there for the previous switch), bend the activating wire so that it can loop through the existing hole in the pedal and Roberts your Mothers Brother.

Now on to the wiring.

Whoever set up the previous switch had connected one wire to ground and one wire to the red/yellow in the pic below. This doesn't work (at least on my car). For the switch to work it needs to switch between the red/yellow and pink/black wire. I believe the blue/brown wire is part of the low pressure warning system.

For the moment I have the hydraulic switch hooked up and the pedal switch running as a parallel 'back-up'.

And here's the 'engineering' of the old switch.....

DUBSTAR'S PROJECT - Weiß Hase - 1976 Golf LS

Started the big brake and suspension refresh.

Here's the majority of parts to go in.

Front:
    - girling 54 calipers, rebuilt
    - early Audi caliper carriers. These allow 256mm brakes to bolt straight on.
    - DBA slotted rotors
    - EBC Greenstuff pads
    - Goodridge hoses
    - prothane and Superpro bushes (pain in th arse to buy all the different swaybar bushes)
    - new control arms and ball joints
    - x-brace from vert.
    - 17mm swaybar

Rear
    - 200mm Mk3 drums with new cylinders
    - Prothane bushes
    - Goodridge hoses
    - 20mm swaybar

Brake booster
    - 22mm m/cyl
    - 9inch booster

Wheels will be a surprise...nothing too exciting.

Over the past few days I have done the front suspension and brakes. Brakes all installed. Shiny new suspnsion parts. All bushes lubed up, 'cause noone likes squeaky bush.

And I've also removed the booster....

Users Country Flag
    where did u get the wishbone/ARB rear mount bracket from? or was it already on the car?

Users Country Flag
    Absolutely loving it mate! Really good progress and all the right mods, keep it up
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Thanks. They came with the swaybar. I actually have another front swaybar (including all mounts and bushes) that I will be selling. Shoot us a PM if interested.

I got the booster and master cylinder all sorted. It's amazing how much you can get done if you don't watch TV for a few days.

I modified a mk3 booster to work as per this link:

How to mod a late booster for MK1.

The lines have been bent a bit by some previous owner, they now clear everything, but when the engine swap happens i'll bend up some new ones.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    What's she like to drive now?

Users Country Flag

Great work. Looks slightly odd to see my old car in its new life, but all for the better. I bet it will actually stop now.

Re the brake light switch and wiring - the switch pre-dates my ownership, but it more or less worked so I left it. Some of the wiring - part of an emergency, night time bodge job done in the dark to get me home when I realised I had no brake lights. My dad and brother wired it up to the battery as a stop-gap. Was going to fix it, but it worked and I never got around to it.

Again, nice to see the old thing getting the love and attention it deserves.

Cheers
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast