Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DUBSTAR'S PROJECT - Weiss Hase - 1976 Golf LS

Users Country Flag

thats amazing, nice find dude
    Radiators are over rated

Users Country Flag
    I'm under the impression Tim brought that over to Geelong from Stephen a while back. Nice to see it turn up again.

Sounds like it might be the twin for my car when your done!

And I hope you enjoy every minute!
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mikinoz View Post
    I'm under the impression Tim brought that over to Geelong from Stephen a while back. Nice to see it turn up again.

Sounds like it might be the twin for my car when your done!

And I hope you enjoy every minute!
    Yep, I sold it to Tim back in January but it looks like he had a change of heart. I hope he gave you the box of spares (which should have the clip for the vent window in it - it was always coming off) and the extensive service history (going back to 1976 with some gaps).

I owned this car for nearly seven years and it was my faithful daily for most of that time. I loved it dearly and was sad to see it go. Good to see it go to someone who can give it the TLC it now needs as I didn't have the time and inclination to do anything major to it. I kept it stock and gave it what it needed to keep it going, but the engine was getting tired and so were parts of the interior.

If you want to know any more history of the car, just let me know - I'll be happy to help.

See: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...mk1-67715.html

(The photos at the start of this thread are mine, taken for Tim's benefit and when it was about to be taken away to Victoria.)

Cheers
    Stephen
    Last edited by greasykitchen; 01-07-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Stephen.

Good to see there is a bit of history around this car.

I got some spares, but not the latch. However, thanks to the kindness of a vwwatercooled member, I have one on its way from Sydney!

I don't want to mess round with the exterior too much, it just needs a tidy up. The engine, interior and suspension need a good going over, so they will be the focus.

Users Country Flag
    Cool. It'd be interesting to see how it goes. A stock Mk1 isn't really cut out for modern traffic, esp when it's a bit worn out.

The spares I had included a left door, the original gear knob and lots of little clips and bits, so hopefully they made their way to you.

Best of luck with it.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!

Can someone tell me if 1976 Australian Golfs have a special front strut mount or will the later mk1 mounts work too? Also, can yiu drill out the ball joint rivets and replace them with the later bolt in type?

Users Country Flag
    Yep the later strut mounts just bolt in.

All the MK1s left the factory with riveted ball joints, just drill them out and bolt in new ones.

Most of the new balls joints come with new bolts, typically 7mm.
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Long time overdue for an update.

I did all the little things for the RWC and got 'Andy' on the road for DoVW. Since then it has been a busy time at home with painting/reno, but I managed some work over the last week.....

The dash that came with the car was completely fcuked. I managed to get a mint, plastic dash from the homeland and so set about fitting it.....

I didn't really find any full instructions on removing an early mk1 dash, lots on removing the instrument cluster, so heres a quick help guide:

1) remove instrument cluster and steering wheel as per Haynes/Bentley.

2) remove the 2 screws at each end underneath the dash (4 screws in total)

3) remove the 3 screws from the centre console and slide the console out of the way (no need to remove the whole thing)

4) This gives you acess to the centre screw that is holding the 2 sections of the heater together. Remove this screw.

6) Remove any wire clips/ties that may be holding the loom to the dash

5) Now just give the dash a damn good tug backwards and it should come free.

Location of 5 screws and picture of fcuked dash...anyone need it?

When I installed the new dash I also took the opportunity to update the stereo. I wanted something with a slight retroi feel to it, so I went with the Retrosound Model One "Becker" style unit. Pictures....

The only problem is that there is only 1 4x6 speaker in the centre of the dash and I don't want to hack up the car to fit any others. I found a simple wiring diagram (see below) that apparently can convert stereo into mono, however I have found that it distorts the sound and also really limits the volume. Can any of the electronics experts here tell me another way to get around this?

If I read the schematic correctly, I put resistors on all 4 wires (R+, R-, L+, L-) and then 1 big one between them. I have used std type resistors rated at 1W.

Schematic:

My wiring:

Users Country Flag
    Looks awesome! The old dash really was knackered. I could never find a dash mat that would stay in place without having to add ugly velcro. The old radio was a bit warped as well, though I did kind of enjoy listening to AM radio in the car.

What's next for Andy?

'76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!

Users Country Flag

what did you do with the old stereo?

Do you want to sell it?

Nice MK1 btw!
    2009 Volkswagen R36 Wagon
    1968 Audi F103 75L Coupe
    1966 Volkswagen Beetle Deluxe

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast