Support VWWC

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A cream-filled mk1 build

A cream-filled mk1 build

So let it begin - my first ever 'build' thread and what a car to ride on a hell of a journey ahead, continuing from the one it had before. I fulfilled a dream of mine becoming a proud owner of a 1976 mk1 golf (2 door...epic cherry on top of the cake), and I thought I'd share it with everyone!

Bit conflicted on actually calling it 'my' build thread though, as I did buy this beauty from Elton whom you may all know very well! What an epic job he's done on this car and full credit to him and how far he got with this gem!! 3 weeks ago I flew down to Melbourne and sealed the deal and made the rather eventful journey home back up to Sydney.

Hit the worst traffic about 3 times in less than 1 n a half hours outside of Melbourne which was so bizarre which delayed the trip by - at the time - we only thought a couple hours...no worries. Everything was fine and dandy for the rest of trip, got stung by the mothership of all wasps pulling up to one of the stations on a refuel...I'll fish out the photo of the sting at some point! Got a few weird looks n laughs from the people at the garage!

Cutting to the rest of the trip, got about 300kms outside home, just before Yass, when I lost all power to the wheels and all use of the acceleration pedal just sent the rev up through the range :/ pulled over and couldnt find anything that looked suss that could be wrong made a few calls and left everyone stumped! It felt like the clutch was stuck in neutral but all shifter movement seemed fine with gears engaging without use of the clutch pedal?

Next morning and a long part of the story later, got home eventually after getting it trailered and arrived at about 9:30am keeping in mind we left Eltons at 11:30/12pm the previous day...not much sleep was had lol

Put the girl up on stands and pulled the box to have a better look at what might be going inside...

A cream-filled mk1 build-photo-2-jpg

A cream-filled mk1 build-photo-1-jpg

A cream-filled mk1 build-photo-jpg

A cream-filled mk1 build-photo-3-jpg

A cream-filled mk1 build-photo-4-jpg

hopefully all those photos work? found the problem though! photos should explain hahaha

This is going to be one of hell of an adventure and I know Im gonna love every moment of it. Even the tough times like the trip home and this stuff just adds to the love for it and stories and overall learning experience which is part of the reason I bought this beauty

Open to all advice and opinions and help!!
    Last edited by browndizzle; 14-04-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The adventures that never go to plan are always the most memorable!
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    The adventures that never go to plan are always the most memorable!
    This couldnt be truer! It just adds to the whole story and relationship (as weird as that may sound)...makes you appreciate it more too.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by browndizzle View Post

A cream-filled mk1 build-photo-3-jpg
    OMG, that's not something you're going to be able to fix by the side of the road!

Congrats on reaching a higher echelon in life, one only achieved by the truly enlightened (some would say crazy) - becoming a MK1 owner.

May all your future repairs be fixable without needing a towtruck.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    OMG, that's not something you're going to be able to fix by the side of the road!

Congrats on reaching a higher echelon in life, one only achieved by the truly enlightened (some would say crazy) - becoming a MK1 owner.

May all your future repairs be fixable without needing a towtruck.

Cheers

Paul
    hahaha I read that 'you know you own a mk1 when...' thread leading up to purchasing this one, had a really good laugh and solid idea of what to expect

Yeahhh hopefully the future is a bit smoother sailing but its all part of the fun n games! dont want it to be too easy...thatd be boring!

Cheers,

Simon

Good looking car

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So thought I might write up a 'to-do' list and share the plans I have for the car...

Being as pedantic and OCD as I am, as soon as she's on the road again I will begin freshening everything up and getting her up to my perfection standard (maybe a bit too much to ask for with a 40 year old car and not a ridiculous open cheque book budget). But lets see how we go!

Wanted to hopefully fulfill the following:

-new door cards and interior panels (if anyone has any full 2 door kits lying around as spare, please hit me up! aiming for a full black interior btw...)

i saw that vwheritage site has the 2 door panels, but not the rest of the side panels for rear passengers and boot? can anyone poit be in the right direction?

-black carpet (despite the perfect condition of the current brown carpet)
    -wiring up the volts, temp gauges currently located where the air con used to be
    -straightening a few of the panels (front guards, bonnet, boot)
    -chrome fuel cap
    -drill and make custom oil cap for the unique cover
    -oil catch can
    -make dash underside to hide a few wires n do overall tidy up
    -possibly get hold of a wolfsburg sirocco steering wheel (although love the retro one it currently has...im torn)
    -front lip (not the gti duckbill)

I will take a few photos of around the car to give a more visual aspect to what im on about

I love the height its sitting at atm, but does anyone know of shallow sumps for these cars available on the market? may even go down the road of making one up...as a few of you may know, Sydney isnt the most 'low car'-friendly place with constant obstacles to keep you on your toes with sumps like street sweepers!

As I go I may update the list, hopefully crossing things off more than adding, unless its adding some serious awesomeness!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mjv79 View Post
    Sweet thanks heaps man!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast