Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A cream-filled mk1 build

Users Country Flag

Epic buy on this one mate. For interior, easy as piss to make panels from scratch. And cheap too. Pm me if you want some info.

At least the driveshafts I sold Elton weren't the weakest link in the drivetrain haha.

If you do end up sourcing a new steering wheel, I've got first dibs on the current one. I've been obsessing about it ever since I drove Elton's car about 10 months ago!

Looking forward to seeing what you've got install for this one.

Subscribed
    77 Mk1 GLS 2 door - That sinking feeling
    76 Mk1 Swallowtail 2 door - Replace that BMW & 76 Sweetheart

Users Country Flag
    Congrats Simon on the great buy!
    I got a set of black doorcards and black carpet from Newton Commercial Newton Commercial homepage - Newton Commercial They aren't the cheapest but are very good quality and I had absolutely no fault with them whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
    Epic buy on this one mate. For interior, easy as piss to make panels from scratch. And cheap too. Pm me if you want some info.

At least the driveshafts I sold Elton weren't the weakest link in the drivetrain haha.

If you do end up sourcing a new steering wheel, I've got first dibs on the current one. I've been obsessing about it ever since I drove Elton's car about 10 months ago!

Looking forward to seeing what you've got install for this one.

Subscribed
    Cheers man! Yeah i thought i did well getting this one, always been a dream/goal of mine to own one, thought this was a pretty good example!

Yeah I'll definitely hit you up for info on the interior! Always down to check out the DIY n make something from scratch! :p

I think after i get it moving again and do some wiring etc, it'll head down to the panel shop to a mate of mine who works on some beautiful classics for a living and get some of the body fixed up (not that i picked it up in bad shape) Im just ridiculously pedantic and even the slightest dent or imperfection drives me up the wall with a classic like this.

Should be a fun time with this one! Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by eri_12 View Post
    Congrats Simon on the great buy!
    I got a set of black doorcards and black carpet from Newton Commercial Newton Commercial homepage - Newton Commercial They aren't the cheapest but are very good quality and I had absolutely no fault with them whatsoever.
    Thanks heaps Erica! Yeah if all else fails I'll definitely be checking that link out!

So just a lil update, not much really but kinda needed a bit of a hand to get looking in the right direction...

Got the g'box back in and everything plugged back up n connected. Went to start it to take it for a run or atleast test out the clutch I'd put in, and absolutely no power or response. No lights worked and the fuel pump didnt even turn on to prime on the turn of the key?

Now, I'm no whizz with electronics at all, but logically thinking it could really only be the battery has died? or an earth somewhere has been connected again incorrectly? The only wire I disconnected that could even remotely be wrong is the thick black one from near the starter motor (not really helpful I dont have a photo of it :/ my bad). Dont have a multimeter I'll probably have to go grab one from an auto shop to determine where the fault is in the connection sooner rather than later.

Just thought id post up n see if there were any obvious things I've missed, like I said, not the most knowledgeable with electronics n wiring. but all part of the fun!!

I'll try get a pic up of the black wire that was possibly earthed from the starter motor soon!
    CURRENT: '76 MK1 Golf 2dr (1.8 8V, twin webers.. soon to be 16v )
    PAST: MK5 GTI Pirelli + MK4 Golf 1.sick + MK3 VR6 (RIP)

Users Country Flag
    The gearbox usually has a ground that connects to the mount, which will link the engine and chassis back to the negative battery terminal. If this is left off, nothing will work at all.

Checking the battery is a good place to start as well. If both the ground wire and battery seem to be in good working order, try using something that does not need ignition power, for example the hazard lights. My ignition switch died a few times when I first got my mk1, to the point where I could only start it by jumping the starter motor terminals with a screwdriver.

BTW, you don't need a multimeter to check the battery. Just join the two battery terminals using a light or the horn. You'll be able to see or hear if it's ok.

Mk1 electrics are rubbish. Good luck finding the problem

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, Elton has a battery in the boot and every wire in the car is lengthened so that it will tuck behind the fender yeah? Disregard everything I said.

It does sound like a grounding issue or flat battery, although, when every wire has been severed and lengthened and just messed with in general, it could be anything really. Multimeter will help greatly with all inevitable electrical issues you will face
    Last edited by Browneye; 03-12-2015 at 02:10 PM.
    77 Mk1 GLS 2 door - That sinking feeling
    76 Mk1 Swallowtail 2 door - Replace that BMW & 76 Sweetheart

Oh okayyyy I'm pretty sure I connected everything back up but I'll definitely have a final look over it!

Thanks so much for the help buddy! I'll either be checking it out tomorrow or saturday sometime hopefully, getting smashed by work at the moment so wanna get this sorted ASAP!

What do you mean by jumping the two starter motor terminals with a screw driver? (sorry, told you I was new with this...) like at the fuse or the actual starter motor itself?

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, Elton has a battery in the boot and every wire in the car is lengthened so that it will tuck behind the fender yeah? Disregard everything I said.

It does sound like a grounding issue or flat battery, although, when every wire has been severed and lengthened and just messed with in general, it could be anything really. Multimeter will help greatly with all inevitable electrical issues you will face
    haha yeahhh battery in the boot and wiring through the fender is correct! makes the bay look mighty clean! however, makes wiring a bit more of a headache now to find the culprit of the problem :/ but yeah I'll grab a multimeter n see what the deal is

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by browndizzle View Post
    What do you mean by jumping the two starter motor terminals with a screw driver?
    You can short the power lead on the starter motor to the terminal that gets its input from the ignition. That way you bypass the ignition switch. Handy if you want to start the car without the keys.

So just a quick lil update, with a spare few minutes with a multimeter i figured out the battery could be a contributing factor, only putting out 0.2v haha on the other hand, also found there was a significant loss of power to or from the starter motor in the connection...i mustve earthed it incorrectly when putting everything back together?

Will have a solid look at it on my next day off but atleast we've somewhat narrowed it down might do a wire clean up etc sometime in the near future and tuck everything in neatly under the dash possibly even make up a nice underside to hide the wires...neat and tidy! OCD is kicking in

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast