Support VWWC

Thread: Come Backs and Snappy Responses

Come Backs and Snappy Responses

Ok this is important guys!!!

My wife's snobby friends look down at me and my Golf. They ask me why I drive it all the time instead of my Lotus.

I get asked "Why in the hell would you spend $2500 dollars importing that balmy old car??!" They are not car people so they would not understand.

Truth be told my Grandfather would not let me get rid of my car. He said "never get rid of your first car". When I went to trade in my Rabbit GTI for a Porsche he made me keep it instead of trading it in. It has history, I fixed cars on the weekends to earn it in high school. I went to Prom in it. I went to college in it. I was driven by my friends while I was drunk for the first time in the back seat. I broke up with 4 girlfriend sitting in the driveway. I've driven it cross country. Drove it to see DRIVE IN Movies; Robocap, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard and Predator were all watched by my VW with that little speaker hanging off of the window. Hell, I even got my first piece of ass and road head in it.

I need a snappy come back or sarcastic remark to fill this void as the snobs won't understand. I need some short one liners. Something like.. "that car salesman told me it was a Porsche!"

Help me out!!!!
    Last edited by Thomasfranklinfranklin; 28-09-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I would let tears well up in your eyes and just say 'You wouldn't understand, I can't talk about it' and leave the room. It's a double win, it would stop them asking and make them feel like an ********.

Users Country Flag
    I feel the same way about my Mk3 CL. It is my first car, bought with my own blood, sweat and tears. I have had my Mk3 for 19 years, yes it is a bit old, yes it has a few bumps and bruises on the bodywork, yes it has flaking clearcoat, yes it is due for a new timing belt/water pump/thermostat, yes it needs a new speedometer, but mechanically it does not miss a beat and keeps soldiering on. I am the first and only owner and I waited 3 months for it to be delivered to me from the Wolfsburg factory. I have similar important life moments and memories that I share with my Mk3.

My wife has asked why I do not get rid of it and get a new car. My response is that I love my old car, it has sentimental value to me, just like how I love her and that she has sentimental value to me. I then ask her how would she feel if I just traded her in for a newer, sexier, high performance model? I usually get punched at that point . . .

I also joke that my plan is that I will be buried in it.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

The question is feenix is this....

20 years from now when you are semi retired and have extra money on your hands...... Would you spend countless hours and effort fixing broken stuff on it?

I will have to do a google search to see if people have ever been buried in their car....

Uh oh... found one.... people are crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D6AXWVOWW4

Love it

Users Country Flag
    I'd just say "I'm very happy with the size of my cock, and don't feel the need to compensate with a car" followed with "Why, what do you drive?"
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasfranklinfranklin View Post
    The question is feenix is this....

20 years from now when you are semi retired and have extra money on your hands...... Would you spend countless hours and effort fixing broken stuff on it?
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Father-in-law is borrowing my Mk3 CL as his daily drive at the moment until we finish getting the Vento roadworthy (the Vento is an auto which will father-in-law's knees less painful when he is driving). I having be buying bits for both the Vento and the CL to fix up them up already and will continue to do so when the family budget allows. Long-term plan is that the CL will qualify for Historic rego in 11 years, father-in-law and I will continue to work on both the Vento and the CL with the aim of getting them up to show-condition.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    I'd just say "I'm very happy with the size of my cock, and don't feel the need to compensate with a car" followed with "Why, what do you drive?"
    When we got the Golf Mk5, I offered it to my wife, who drove it once and then wanted it. I took over the Caddy as my daily drive. My wife then asked me if I was ok with driving a people mover and whether I wanted the Mk5 because it was much sportier (it has an Oettinger stage 1 remap, 17 inch VW OEM Passat rims). My response was that I did not need a sporty car to prove my manliness, I drive a 7-seater peoplemover.

Users Country Flag
    I have my MK1 as a toy. It is supplemental to the daily and it's there purely for fun. It reminds me of a simpler time when we sent letters to friends and waited 2 weeks for a reply. When you pulled out your toolbox when it broke down, not your mobile phone. When you'd proudly open your bonnet to show off to your mates the completely standard engine but with a chrome rocker cover.

The MK1 Golfs are also an appreciating asset.

Would your friends have criticised Rembrandt or Van Gough because they kept some worthless pieces of canvas with paint on them?

Users Country Flag

Some replies for you.

Ask them if they know what "fun" is.

Ask them when was the last time they had a smile from ear to ear when driving their car.

Ask them if they broke down would they be able to fix the problem.

Ask them if they have ever had friends ring to say they have just seen your car on TV. (OK, it was on a Police community service show and they were showing how to go through roundabouts correctly when my car came through without slowing down - but I did change lanes and used my indicators perfectly)

Ask them when was the last time they got an admiring nod from the driver next to them at the lights.

Ask them when was the last time they came back to their car and found a few people admiring it. Not to be confused with when they last visited their kids and it was the other prisoners admiring the car.

Ask them if they have ever had the satisfaction of leaving an expensive sports car behind when going through a roundabout.

Ask them if a service station attendant has ever told them they have a cool car.

Ask them if driving an expensive car makes them a better person or is it an ego thing.

Ask them for their bank details (ok, that one was just in case you're on a roll and they are answering your other questions).

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 30-09-2016 at 02:40 PM.