Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chalkboard GLS

Users Country Flag

The Chalkboard GLS

It was only a matter of time until I started this build thread and I guess now is that time. I've been super lazy and haven't wanted to actually make a build thread but from reading a lot of others I've realised that they can be a great help when you get stuck (I get stuck a lot) and also I want something written I can look back on as well as photos.
    So here we go....

About 3 months ago now I picked up a 1979 Mk1 GLS. Before I go into things I'll tell you all the story of how it came about. I was at uni on the computer doing some "work" when I came about a facebook post on one of the VW pages I'm in (already own a Mk4 so that's why I was in the group). The post was by a user on here can't quite remember who but none the less they were looking for a mk1, but they didn't want a project they wanted a complete clean car. Up until then I never even thought about trying to get one for myself because I always thought they were super rare as I'd only even seen 2 at meets before. Continuing on a guy from Bendigo posted picks of a rust free Mk1 that was pretty rough (not running, missing a few bits) not to mention the chalkboard paint job on the poor thing. He wanted $650 for it and I decided at that moment I wanted nothing more then to have that car in my driveway. Exactly a week later I drove to Bendigo to look at the car on my own (18 year-old minimal knowledge about buying an old car or any car really) After about 10 minutes of looking and talking an agreement was reached, $500 delivered to my door. For what it is I think that was a pretty good deal seeing as it was over an hour away.

Here are some photos of when I got home.

After getting it home I noticed a few things that had already been done to the car.
    Its on king springs so its already at the height that I want it at.
    Some point in its life it had a full hectic sound system (found a receipt for over $3k in sound system parts)
    The car also has no bog anywhere I can find so either its about to fall apart or its been stored well.

Since I've had it I've done a few things but not much.

Got to work pulling the little 1.6 out read for this to go in!

Its the classic ADZ with a Dellorto DHLA 45 and Lynx manifold I picked up from Browneye

Onto recently I haven't been able to do much because of uni and money but I picked up some new wheels!

As of today as I'm writing this thread this is how the car sits. Im still in need of a vacuum advance dizzy to get my ignition sweet so If anyone can help me out that'd be fab!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Chalkboard GLS-img_1887-jpg   The Chalkboard GLS-img_1888-jpg  

The Chalkboard GLS-img_1889-jpg   The Chalkboard GLS-img_1897-jpg  

The Chalkboard GLS-img_1902-jpg   The Chalkboard GLS-img_2038-jpg  

The Chalkboard GLS-img_2026-jpg   The Chalkboard GLS-img_2021-jpg  

The Chalkboard GLS-img_1968-jpg   The Chalkboard GLS-img_1967-jpg  

The Chalkboard GLS-14799888_1317850221581031_232220934_o-jpg   The Chalkboard GLS-14803266_1317850111581042_1500213641_o-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    Good work dude! Hopefully this is fired up and running before Xmas.

Planning to leave it black?
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Before Christmas is definitely the plan! It needs to be ready before Feb next year as my mates and I are all going to the hanging rock car show. They've all got old Commodores (VH, VL Calais, Group A VL).
    It's not going to stay black, will be returning it to its former glory with the red it used to be!

Users Country Flag
    Congrats mate, shes slowly getting there

Users Country Flag
    Just needs a few body mods.

The Chalkboard GLS-ugly6434-jpg

Still in need of a vacuum advance dizzy and ignition control module if anyone is willing to sell me them

Users Country Flag
    Just use the standard dizzy to get it running. You can always update when the parts come up for sale. My adz was running on points for over a year without any issues. And vacuum advance is well optional
    77 Mk1 GLS 2 door - That sinking feeling
    76 Mk1 Swallowtail 2 door - Replace that BMW & 76 Sweetheart

Well its been just over a month since I started this thread and I think I've got just about everything I need to get the Chalkboard going again! It's taken longer then expected due to parts being tricky to find but I've got all the hard bits out of the way. I didn't stay true to myself when I said I'm refusing to buy any body parts (bumpers, head lights, flares etc) but I've ended up with a complete car body wise but no engine in sight!
    Over my adventure on finding parts I've ended up with 2 of something that might be useful for other people!
    I've got a spare 210mm flywheel and pressure plate but no clutch plate so if anyone wants to trade it for something mk1 related that could help me out or i'll sell them
    My number is 0408309735 if anyone is interested!

Hey all,

Does anyone have a standard dizzy from a mk1 I can purchase? The one that came of my old 1.6 seems to be pretty rooted and missing a few bits. I don't really mind condition as long as it works, just need it to run points ignition whilst i source the other parts i need

Users Country Flag

You can convert your points dizzy with missing parts to an electronic unit using the pertronix ignitor kit

Pertronix Performance Products

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast