Thread: A/C Upgrade?

A/C Upgrade?

So my 1983 Rabbit GTI 1.8 has a Huge Square York compressor on it. It's a PIA since day 1. It currently works. It has no adjustor on it for the belt (just rings that you move around like a alternator belt on an old bug). The brackets are clunky and it makes the alternator hard to get to and deal with. I also need a compressor clutch for it (fixed the old one up with used parts) and they don't make them anymore. They draw lots of power and the old square compressors don't preform very well. It is reliable I have to give it that... it still works, does not leak freon and is the original A/C compressor.

I noticed that the Golf convertibles have a Sanyo SD508 compressor (much better set up). It does not seem hard to me to swap over the brackets from a Golf Cabrio MK1 along with the alternator and water pump. Is that even possible? I know I will have to make some A/C lines and rewire the alternator but that's pretty easy.

Will the Cabrio parts bolt on? Anyone know?

Thanks!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A/C Upgrade?-5fd9e9b9-df8c-4ab6-89a6-9a6cc67a8e6f_zpsym0v2ehe-jpg  

Users Country Flag

LOL!

I see how it works here now. Remember that Americans are very lazy. It's a lot of effort to turn the crank for the Aussie A/C. That's why I have to use a different power A/C system.

Users Country Flag
    Jesus man make just one thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dublub View Post
    Jesus man make just one thread.

Haha, this happens every few years.

Thomas, perhaps make all inquiries in one thread, that makes it neater and easier for everyone else. Plus all your questions will be in the same place should you need to refer back to it. I'd suggest using 'IM OLD' as you have posted pics of your car there and a back story.

Good luck
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag

A/C Upgrade?

Jesus, you guys are petty. It's a nice change to have some active topics instead of a dead forum. The guy is new to town and wanting to participate in the local community and he just gets treated like crap......well done.

Users Country Flag
    I like separate topics too. It makes it easier to go back and find a fix for a particular problem.

Pretty sure I did the same thing when I started on this forum.

Users Country Flag
    When there's 5 threads out of the top 6 then 5 more back to back it's getting excessive. I'm all for keeping the forum alive but continuous over threading when it can easily be joined into one just seems logical. Maybe that's me being a minimalist but 14 threads in a few weeks about the same car IS excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasfranklinfranklin View Post
    So my 1983 Rabbit GTI 1.8 has a Huge Square York compressor on it. It's a PIA since day 1. It currently works. It has no adjustor on it for the belt (just rings that you move around like a alternator belt on an old bug). The brackets are clunky and it makes the alternator hard to get to and deal with. I also need a compressor clutch for it (fixed the old one up with used parts) and they don't make them anymore. They draw lots of power and the old square compressors don't preform very well. It is reliable I have to give it that... it still works, does not leak freon and is the original A/C compressor.

I noticed that the Golf convertibles have a Sanyo SD508 compressor (much better set up). It does not seem hard to me to swap over the brackets from a Golf Cabrio MK1 along with the alternator and water pump. Is that even possible? I know I will have to make some A/C lines and rewire the alternator but that's pretty easy.

Will the Cabrio parts bolt on? Anyone know?

Thanks!!!
    Thomas, good to see the LHD Cabriolet is still happening.
    The Australian delivered cabriolets up to 93 with aircon fitted are just local manufactured units that the VW importer had batches retrofitted to cars. They are total crap as the compressor bracketed is pretty well hand cobbled junk. I have had 2 alternators fail thru these brackets.
    I am currently in Phoenix and have picked up 3 factory a/c brackets that will be coming home next month. ( re fitting the factory A/C to my LHD Scirocco, upgrading to the SD 508 rotary compressor ) one of my buddies in Maryland is doing the same mod so we are planning on making the longer hose assemblies to make it all a plug n play job but it will be a while before it's ready. I will check this thread in a couple weeks once we are back in OZ . ( heading out to Black mts for a week n a half . )
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

have a 79 Deisel in MN with factory AC. My compressor is much smaller than the Gas engine models been there need to be room for the injector pump. This last spring I was able to get it vacuumed down and it held so it got recharged with Enviro safe 12R blows really cold! colder than most new cars on the road.

I would be curious to see a RHD AC install and the dash layout.