Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: build thread :)

You can buy the glue for rear view mirrors from auto stores
    I have used that but not really tested and the car isn't self powered...

Users Country Flag
    Answer 1: I've seen a variety of lengths of clutch cable depending on the model of mk1 etc. The important thing is how much longer the cable is than the sheathing. In my experience, trying to keep the clutch pedal low like the others can be self-defeating. I say this because once it this low, it will touch the floor before it disengages. With mine I had to squish the carpet before I could get it in gear. And it will only get worse once the clutch wears in.

Answer 2: Although some glues will "hold", there is nothing that I would trust against a break-in. The interface between the glass and the lock is too small to create a secure bond. Switching to sealed glass quarters or bolt through opening quarters should be a priority imo. Otherwise you will always be at risk of a crafty thief pushing on the window until either the lock or the hinge gives way.

Give us a shout out once you're all settled in in Melbourne. It's about time ACT donated some mk1 enthusiasts.
    77 Mk1 GLS 2 door - That sinking feeling
    76 Mk1 Swallowtail 2 door - Replace that BMW & 76 Sweetheart

Users Country Flag
    I have used Nano470 for the glass latches. Has held up for 2 years

Nano470 Home page

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
    Answer 1: I've seen a variety of lengths of clutch cable depending on the model of mk1 etc. The important thing is how much longer the cable is than the sheathing. In my experience, trying to keep the clutch pedal low like the others can be self-defeating. I say this because once it this low, it will touch the floor before it disengages. With mine I had to squish the carpet before I could get it in gear. And it will only get worse once the clutch wears in.

Answer 2: Although some glues will "hold", there is nothing that I would trust against a break-in. The interface between the glass and the lock is too small to create a secure bond. Switching to sealed glass quarters or bolt through opening quarters should be a priority imo. Otherwise you will always be at risk of a crafty thief pushing on the window until either the lock or the hinge gives way.

Give us a shout out once you're all settled in in Melbourne. It's about time ACT donated some mk1 enthusiasts.
    i'll have to google some stuff then, its quite annoying having the clutch and brake a good 2 inches higher than the accelerator.

im not really concerned about the glue holding up to break in etc, because if a thief wanted to get in they would get in no matter what. im just trying to find something that will hold up to the twisting motion of the latch going up and down without the bond breaking.

had a look at what dubstar said about nano470, but good lord its expensive. pay day it is.
    But no really, I like to look distinguished when I step out of the car. People are like, "wonder what he does for living."
    I just reply, "your daughter, sir." - some dude on stanceworks

I had fixed half the broken crap but that just meant it was still halfway inoperable

Users Country Flag
    I have half a bottle left if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by dubstar View Post
    I have half a bottle left if you want it.
    please! might have to wait till melbourne though.

been driving alot on the stockies, feels like a deathtrap compared to the wider tsw's..
    But no really, I like to look distinguished when I step out of the car. People are like, "wonder what he does for living."

I had fixed half the broken crap but that just meant it was still halfway inoperable

Wowee its been a while.

Update,

Moved to melbourne in 2016 just before my 19th birthday, fast forward 2 years and im in my second year of a mechatronics degree at Deakin.

Long story short, it took me awhile to move the golf down to Melbourne. Reason being was having a project car on campus wasnt the best idea!

Currently looking into a full interior rehaul, looking for all black parts but i forgot how hard it was to find them in this country. Best part about uni is the machining labs that we have access to, allowing for a massive amount of custom work to be done.

Cheers,

Good to be back.

Reid.

Also saw a mk1 driving around the south yarra area the other day, bloody brilliant looking car. Anyone know who might own it?

Users Country Flag
    Good to see you're still around.

One of the MK1 guys at the VW Nationals used to lecture at uni. He made up a set of custom wheels thanks to the machine labs.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pilks View Post
    Moved to melbourne in 2016 just before my 19th birthday, fast forward 2 years and im in my second year of a mechatronics degree at Deakin.
    Burwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilks View Post
    Also saw a mk1 driving around the south yarra area the other day, bloody brilliant looking car. Anyone know who might own it?
    What colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Water Boy View Post
    Burwood?

What colour?
    Im based in waurn ponds, make the commute a few times a week.. sucks but you gotta do it. golf was orange(?) i think, havent seen it since actually..

Ive changed the interior in the car - the VHT vinyl dye stuff is amazing, hopefully it holds up. If not ill just scuff the vinyl and reapply, more worried about how it handles heat..

Painted the fender and the wheel centres. chasing up high tensile cap bolts as the ones i got before were stainless and did not make a bond that was strong enough...

Also, does anyone have a pinout diagram for the electrics? i may have set the golf on fire by accident after accidentally rerouting some wires into the wrong pin. The 10pin wires are fine, just muddled around. Absolutely melted the 8pin wires so i cut that part of the harness and rewired. Any help is good help.

ill upload photo's later..

Reid.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627