Thread: Inverted studs

Users Country Flag

Inverted studs

Hey guys, i was curious, rather than using the european style and using bolts/studs, is there a way to put in bolts on the hub, so that you can use a nut instead. Kinda of like a honda?

For exmple, for people using spacers, they need to have longer bolts, however what if a bolt was put in and inverted into the hub, that way spacers could be used, and you could use nuts instead. Which would make it a hell of alot easier to put a wheel on LOL.

I assume its easy for the drums brakes, but what about discs? I hope im making sense.. hahah

Any advice would help.
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag
    H&R do stud conversion kits from memory

PERFORMANCE, STYLING AND OEM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR VW

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Users Country Flag
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Pete i assume, you screw in those studs, where the bolts would originally go, however inverted? I heard bursons might be able to stock them too..
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag
    Yes, some types screw in from the front. The AIT one are the way to go if you choose that option.

For motor sport I plan on using ones that press in from the rear.
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

We used studs that pressed in on the Blue Flog. Initially disc/drum and now disc/disc. You can get them in different lengths and makes changing a flat in the middle of the forrest a lot easier

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Flog View Post
    We used studs that pressed in on the Blue Flog. Initially disc/drum and now disc/disc. You can get them in different lengths and makes changing a flat in the middle of the forrest a lot easier
    Yep thats my goal, easier tyre changing, and just enxtended wheel nuts for looks. My question is, whats the bolt width, and the thread size on the mk1s? As well as is there any place to get it directly, to avoid going online?
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag

I'm not sure how rego go about approving this but on my Polo I fitted high tensile bolts from a hardware store. Bolted in from the back and loctited in. They are a standard metric thread, from memory I think they were 12 mm but don't quote me. The store even had them in different lengths. Just remember to spin the disk/drum around a few times to make sure the head of the bolt doesn't catch on anything. I think the bolts cost around $1.50 each.