Thread: 8v crossflow

Users Country Flag

8v crossflow

hey all new to this thing but Im wanting to convert a agg to crossflow for my mk1 main reason is I don't really want to 16v as cash will be tight and I prefer having something different. Has anyone on here done this before I've talked to some on mk1 aus on facebook but I don't think it was a 2.0 swap.

Ive done a bit of research on this. There is plenty of info on ClubGTI
    Use a 1.6 8v head from a Mk4 and then choose your own bottom end. I think a low KM's ADZ would be ideal (Mk3 18.ltr)
    Nice set up webbers and an aftermarket ignition set up!

Users Country Flag

Non-crossflow will make a similar amount of power and has decent support

its all in the porting if the crossflow head allows you to port it bigger, you will be able to get more hp.

having said that, you really dont see that many 'built' 8V counterflow cars in australia anyway. I think a lot of people end up going 16V, or running a close to stock 8V.
    Last edited by gldgti; 10-07-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Some info here: Mk3 8v Crossflow

Also read up on ABA's on Vortex!

I've come late to this discussion, so hopefully the brains trust are still out there!?
    I've done some poking around, and while the ABA motors sound like the bees-knees, I don't believe they were Australian delivery?
    The Mk4 1.6 cylinder head on another short block sound good - does anyone know if there is a 2 litre motor that would accept this head instead of the 1.8? (I figure if I'm upgrading from a Mk1 1600, I may as well go BIG).
    Further; I've been told that the reason a 16v swap isn't generally done (and I should point out that my car is a B1 Passat coupe), is that the motors are more "upright", creating a clearance problem pretty much everywhere.
    Does anyone know if a 16v head conversion on a Mk1 1600 motor is easy to achieve?