Support VWWC

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 76 Sweetheart

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
    So dumb question...

This is my radiator (Honda civic) If I were to mount it on its side (the same orientation as the picture) with a modified filler cap to remove the air lock, would it still cool as effectively as it would if mounted upright? Or would water only flow through the bottom half of the radiator due to the location of the hoses?

I would happily change my radiator except for the fact that I already bought this one... If worse comes to worse, I'll get a barina one or something similar.
    Should work ok, as long as the rest of the cooling system is working fine, like the pump and thermostat.
    You can only try dude.

Users Country Flag
    Won't work. The tubes inside the radiator have to be vertical so they all fill up with water. If they are horizontal only the lower ones will fill so you're losing half the efficiency of the radiator. Since it's a small radiator to start with you will be looking at bugger all cooling capability if it's mounted sideways.

As above, but you said you will have a bleed so I will assume the air is out and there will be water every where

There will be very limited flow on the top half, the flow will take the path of least resistance, which does not include coming in, doing a 90 degree turn, up hill, across and then down again.
    It is a pressurised system, so some water would move, but it will be a relative trickle
    I think if you were to put it in and then used one of the infrared thermo probes you would have maybe 70 deg at the top and 100 at the bottom. And most of the 70 would be from heat soak of the metal

Users Country Flag
    Dude this thing is absolutely mint! Makes me super motivated to get back into my car finally!
    Good to see someone doing something different and having actually thought about it properly. Can't wait to hear running videos!
    1976 VW Golf "Swallowtail" - Rallye Red (long term resto)
    2009 Pirelli GTI - Stg3 killer
    2009 R36 Passat - Daily baller
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    You take corners on three wheels, and V8's can't catch you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    So another question regarding my radiator solution. If I weld a partition in the end tank, leaving it open at the top, would that force the flow through the entire core? Here's a quick doodle of what I mean. The partition is in red and the flow is yellow.
    In other news, sorted out the fuel pump yesterday, it's a little noisy but will do for the time being. Attached it to the outside of the spare tyre well, to keep it out of harms way.
    Test fit the extractors (I believe they are hurricane?) and I can't believe the quality of the fitment. Bolt straight up and the downpipe is tucked right up under the tunnel. Top quality part if I might say. Fluke buy on eBay for around $160 and couldn't be happier
    Sorry for the s**t pictures today

Considering a full wire tuck also...

Much more to come
    77 Mk1 GLS 2 door - That sinking feeling
    76 Mk1 Swallowtail 2 door - Replace that BMW & 76 Sweetheart

Users Country Flag

76 Sweetheart

You need to use a radiator in the mounting direction it was designed for, it won't cool properly

Users Country Flag
    Here's some shots of mine.

The radiator is out of a 93 Barina and Michael got it for $90 back in 2013. The fan was another $50 but you might be able to use the MK1 one.

76 Sweetheart-radiator-half-size-jpg

76 Sweetheart-engine1b-jpg

76 Sweetheart-engine3-jpg

Let me know if you want any other pix. I've got the motor out so it should be easy to get you a shot.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 25-05-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Looks like I'll be getting a barina rad then... Was looking at a Jeep Cherokee radiator but was around 20mm too long to fit between the chassis rails. Otherwise it would have been perfect.

Barina radiator has the same thread for the thermo switch for the fan doesn't it? If so, that makes the swap nice and easy. Shame it needs an expansion tank though, but you win some, you lose some.

Anyway, started on the wire tuck tonight, and doesn't seem as hard as I thought it would be. We'll see what I'll be saying in a week's time when I got wires running everywhere though. Just labeling and disconnecting at this stage, and there's really not that many wires in the bay. Looks better already.

Anyone know what this box is for....

Users Country Flag

Old diagnostics port box. Nothing that is necessary, especially today.
    1976 VW Golf "Swallowtail" - Rallye Red (long term resto)
    2009 Pirelli GTI - Stg3 killer
    2009 R36 Passat - Daily baller
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    You take corners on three wheels, and V8's can't catch you.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast