Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 76 Sweetheart

Users Country Flag

Could you have used a slim Barina radiator to fit Jordan??

I don't like the look of that radiator being tight dude. I think you might need to just settle for a smaller battery just to give you at least a few mm clearance on either side just to be safe.
    also you should put or make a shroud for the fans and for the front to direct some sort of cool air while driving.

But it's coming along nicely dude love it.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Petska84 View Post
    Could you have used a slim Barina radiator to fit Jordan??

I don't like the look of that radiator being tight dude. I think you might need to just settle for a smaller battery just to give you at least a few mm clearance on either side just to be safe.
    also you should put or make a shroud for the fans and for the front to direct some sort of cool air while driving.

But it's coming along nicely dude love it.
    Yes I could use a barina radiator without too much hassle. Only things is I'd need an expansion tank again, which are fugly haha.

What do you mean about a shroud? Like enclose area between the radiator and the front panel? If so, I don't really think it would make that much difference. I think we'll wait and see if everything works before I think too much into altering anything.

To get more clearance, I can always just turn the battery 90 degrees. Just need a different mounting system in that case.
    77 Mk1 GLS 2 door - That sinking feeling
    76 Mk1 Swallowtail 2 door - Replace that BMW & 76 Sweetheart

Yes, turn the battery! Cheaper and easier than getting a new one
    Shroud will make a huge difference. For the cooling it stops stalled air (being heated by the radiator) spilling into your carbs, more than that you will have different amounts of hot air left to right, technically every piston tune should be different, since that will not be happening (unless you have 4 lambda reads) you will probably end up with some running lean, some rich, and timing will be set to the worst. Literally $5 worth of alloy will fix that

The other option is this. Fabricators at work are happy to modify the filler cap location so that there won't be a massive air lock and this is the option I'm leaning towards. It all clears the bonnet and is just out of the way of the carbs. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
    The other option is this. Fabricators at work are happy to modify the filler cap location so that there won't be a massive air lock and this is the option I'm leaning towards. It all clears the bonnet and is just out of the way of the carbs. Opinions?
    Yessss same set up as my dad's mk1. Also gives you room for an oil cooler!

I probably won't run an oil cooler for a long LONG time. Nowhere to mount it really without getting in the way of something else. Notice the lack of lower cutout on the drivers side... strange

Also have a look at Peter Jones engine bay he has his radiator to the left, ITB's and an oil cooler in there some where.

Oil cooler doesnt necessarily need direct airflow.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
    Yes I could use a barina radiator without too much hassle. Only things is I'd need an expansion tank again, which are fugly haha.

What do you mean about a shroud? Like enclose area between the radiator and the front panel? If so, I don't really think it would make that much difference. I think we'll wait and see if everything works before I think too much into altering anything.

To get more clearance, I can always just turn the battery 90 degrees. Just need a different mounting system in that case.
    Exactly what notso swift said. It's actually pointless running a fan without a shroud because your fan or fans will have to be working over time to even try and keep it cool.
    You might think the expansion tank is ugly, though it also helps with the aid of cooling. And try to somehow bridge the top of the radiator support to the radiator with a piece of plate to alloy sheet or something?
    Owning a 600hp Cleveland gave me grief to keep cool, even with the best of parts. Might be ok in winter but as the warmer weather approaches you see the temp gauge creep up at the traffic lights and just praying they change so can keep moving.

Sorry Jordan for sounding like a pain, just speaking from a little experience. If you need a hand just shout out I'm happy to help.

Users Country Flag
    Mine has a Barina radiator. It really is the best option, fits like it was made for the Golf and you can still use the standard fan/shroud.

76 Sweetheart-engine1b-jpg

Expansion tank is a standard overflow/filler bottle off a 90's Golf or Polo as shown here on the right.

76 Sweetheart-test2-jpg
    Last edited by sports racer; 22-05-2015 at 12:44 AM.

So dumb question...

This is my radiator (Honda civic) If I were to mount it on its side (the same orientation as the picture) with a modified filler cap to remove the air lock, would it still cool as effectively as it would if mounted upright? Or would water only flow through the bottom half of the radiator due to the location of the hoses?

I would happily change my radiator except for the fact that I already bought this one... If worse comes to worse, I'll get a barina one or something similar.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast