Support VWWC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What tire pressure?

Users Country Flag

What tire pressure?

What tire pressure do you guys find is best?

got the standard 16" alloys from 2012.

dealer had it at bloody 40 psi which seemed too high. some websites say 27? that sounds too low

The car should have a sticker in the fuel flap that lists the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressures.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    The car should have a sticker in the fuel flap that lists the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressures.
    thanks, missed that since it was in KPAs, had to convert it, ended up as 32psi 30psi, I went for 34/32 since it was already close to that and felt a bit too flat.

Users Country Flag
    Stick with what the fuel flap sticker says and then monitor over time the tread wear....VDUB...
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    What tire pressure do you guys find is best?

got the standard 16" alloys from 2012.

dealer had it at bloody 40 psi which seemed too high. some websites say 27? that sounds too low
    It is not the wheel size, but the aspect ratio of the tyre that is important. Use what the placard says. Lower profile tyres require higher pressures than the normal (70% or 80% aspect ratio) ones.

I check my tyres when I fuel up and I am amazed at the number of times I find the system set to 32 psi. It is almost as though it is a rule carved in stone. Just about every car will have 60% aspect ratio tyres or lower these days, and these tyres need higher pressures because there is less air in the tyre to support the load.

Many drivers do feel unsure about higher tyre pressures, but this is because we had so many years with 70% and 80% aspect ratio tyres and then passed on the 32 psi figure on down the generations. The tyres are designed to cope with these higher operating pressures.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    I check my tyres when I fuel up and I am amazed at the number of times I find the system set to 32 psi. It is almost as though it is a rule carved in stone. Just about every car will have 60% aspect ratio tyres or lower these days, and these tyres need higher pressures because there is less air in the tyre to support the load.
    That's because the system automatically resets itself to 32psi

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pologti18t View Post
    That's because the system automatically resets itself to 32psi
    Only if the reset is on a a timer.

Either way, even 32 psi is way under what low profile tyres need to be inflated to.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    Only if the reset is on a a timer.

Either way, even 32 psi is way under what low profile tyres need to be inflated to.
    It is reset on a timer... seen it reset itself. It's annoying when it does it as you try to move your motorbike to gain access to the air valve.

32psi is a pretty good average for run of the mill cars. And i find that most of these electronic pumps are set up to under read the actual pressure but a psi or two.

Users Country Flag
    pressure will vary 1.5 to 2 psi for every 10 degrees temperature change. Whatever pressure you put in your tyres it is going to change constantly depending on temperature of the air, the road, how far/fast you are going, how many red lights you get, how hard you have to brake for them.

Users Country Flag

What pressure do the GTI owners run? I've been using 37psi, I heard its better to run higher for less tyre wear and less fuel costs

Current Ride: Golf GTI Mk7 MY2014|DSG|Carbon Steel
    Previous Ride: Polo GTI MY2012|DSG|RNS510|Shadow Blue|Lenso GF7 18” rims
    Instagram: @lemonskin

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast