Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you know which polo GTIs are affected from high oil usage?

Users Country Flag

How do you know which polo GTIs are affected from high oil usage?

Hi everyone. I just bought a 2011 Polo GTI second hand from a private seller. Everything was ok with it and he mentioned that he had the DSG updated from that recall issue they had. I just read about oil issues though and am not too sure whether my car is affected. How do you know which models are the ones with high oil consumption? Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    Is your rear bumper bar black after a few days?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hmmmm haven't noticed anything. Is that how you tell? I thought it was by year or engine batch number?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by hng049 View Post
    Hmmmm haven't noticed anything. Is that how you tell? I thought it was by year or engine batch number?
    From my limited knowledge i think it is year/engine code. I believe it was sometime in 2012 the swaapped engine codes from CAVE to CTHE. I believe the CAVE engines were prone to oil consumption issues, so looks like yours may be suspect. I'd be checking the dip stick level every 500km and taking note of the oil level. Does the service record suggest anything alarming? I would expect only a few percentage of these engines actually had issues, the internet can tend to exaggerate things.

Great thanks for the reply. Will keep an eye on the oil. Will double check the service history in more depth. Had a look before but nothing stood out.

Users Country Flag
    Pretty sure it's not by year or engine code. Plenty of people have reported oil consumption problems from the first GTI's up to the 2014 ones.

Probably no way to tell up front, you'll find out over time I guess. :/
    MY12.5 Polo GTI - Pearl Black - Sunroof - Alcantara

Users Country Flag
    To begin with. Its not just the Polo GTI that use oil. I've meet Golf R owners who have had worse consumption. I dare say you could find a post under almost every current or near current VW model and you would find someone who has had high consumption. A lot can depend on you drive style too. Best advise I can give you is to drive in manual mode or D but manual shift down when climbing to keep the revs up a bit and of course check the oil level every 500km or so. As long as you keep topping it up it well use less.
    2012 Fabia II VRS Estate - APR stage 2 tune, Custom 2.5" turbo back full stainless exhaust with ceramic coated dump pipe, Harding Performance Cold air intake, Wagner Tuning Competition Intercooler, GFB DV+ diverter valve, Braille B2317RP battery, Eibach pro kit springs, Bilstein B8 shocks, Harding Performance F+R ARB, Super Pro bushes, Porsche 986 Boxster S front brake calipers, 330x28mm front rotors, Ferodo DS2500 front pads and Remsa rear pads, Enkei RPF1 17x8 et.35 with 235/40R17 Yokohama AD08R tyres, Maxton front splitter and Superskoda fender flares.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Veeduby View Post
    Pretty sure it's not by year or engine code. Plenty of people have reported oil consumption problems from the first GTI's up to the 2014 ones.

Probably no way to tell up front, you'll find out over time I guess. :/
    This is correct, unless service records make it obvious.

Also, it seems to depend on how much driving in D you do.

Gavs recently posted how his car used way more oil when he did a stint in D. Up until then, he thought his car was immune, which it is, as long as he drives in Manual mode.

It appears the stock DSG tune might have something to do with it.

So, if you really want to know, drive in D (if the car is still under warranty, may be better to find out sooner rather than later.)

If you would rather not know, drive in manual.

Either way, check your oil at the petrol station at every fill. (It only takes a few seconds - wait until after you've filled and paid to let the oil settle). Keep a 1l bottle of APPROVED oil in the car (the passenger door cup holder comes in handy for this.) for top ups (keep your empty 1l bottle, and refill it from a bulk 5l bottle, if necessary).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RoknRob; 05-03-2014 at 01:34 AM.
    2011 Polo GTI | Black | 5 doors | Comfort pack | Audio pack | 9w7 Bluetooth | Xenons - a Return to VW!
    Previous ride: 2008 Mazda2 - ZOOM-ZOOM indeed!
    1st Ride: 1988 Red VW Fox Sedan!

My car is out of warranty now. So if it does have the oil consumption issue, what can I do about it? I just bought it... :/

Keep filling it up with oil.. consider it a continuous oil change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast