Support VWWC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What tire pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatherless One View Post
    Sorry to revive this but it's obviously very very important we get tyre pressures right.
    This is the Polo section of the forums.

The photo you have uploaded looks like it was taken from a Mk5 Golf. You may therefore, get different recommendations than if this were posted in the Golf section.

This is the label inside my fuel cap:

Looking at the label I'm assuming the the kPa are front (220 = 32 psi) and rear (200 = 29 psi) carrying two people.
    I interpret that as more of a pictogram designated to mean "normal load" (or half load), rather than taking it too literally.

Hence, the second row would therefore mean "full load" at 240 kPa front / 290 kPa rear.

The widespread use of symbols, icons and pictograms may seem a bit esoteric to those from an English-speaking background, but this sort of thing is common in Continental Europe due to the number of languages and dialects.

My new rims are 18" diameter and 8" width running Kumho ECSTA SPT 225/40ZR18 92 Y XL, do those same pressures sound appropriate for these tyres?
    For the Mk5 Golf, Volkswagen have a tendency to recommend the same inflation pressures for the same model variant, irrespective of tyre size. For instance, the following pressures:

1.6 FSI: 200 kPa (29 psi)
    2.0 FSI: 210 kPa (30 psi)
    1.4 GT: 230 kPa (33 psi)
    2.0 GTI: 240 kPa (35 psi)
    3.2 R32: 280 kPa (41 psi)

... would apply irrespective of the tyre size (or at least, those available as factory options) fitted on the vehicle.

The increasing inflation pressures reflect, amongst other things, increasing vehicle weight. On the above list, the 1.6 is the lightest variant, while the R32 is the heaviest variant.

Note 1: inflation pressures for vehicles with an automatic transmission may be slightly higher, as weight distribution is pushed forwards (heavier front load, lighter rear load), but this is not always the case and depends on the model variant.

Assuming you have a 2.0 FSI automatic (not DSG), it would explain the inflation pressures listed on your fuel flap (220 kPa front / 200 kPa rear). So given the weight of your vehicle, an initial pressure of anywhere between 220 kPa (32 psi) to 240 kPa (35 psi) would be a good place to start, and then adjust to your own preferences. You may go higher than 35 psi if you wish, but never go lower than 32 psi.

While higher inflation pressures generally promote slower wear rates, for your particular vehicle, an inflation pressure far in excess of 240 kPa may compromise vehicle dynamics and/or braking distances to a certain extent (depending on vehicle load, as well as the tyre itself) if the tyre's contact patch isn't allowed to sufficiently deform, given your vehicle's weight (or lack thereof).

Note 2: unless stated otherwise, the figures listed on the fuel flap always refer to cold pressures (i.e. tyres at ambient temperature). Same goes for the pressures listed in this post.

Note 3: irrespective of the contents in this post, always defer to the sticker in the fuel flap (or wherever) for correct inflation pressures in the first instance.
    Last edited by Diesel_vert; 09-03-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Users Country Flag

Excellent info and thanks to those who've posted.

Yes my car is a 2.0 FSI Golf. I was awate this thread is in the Polo section but when I searched the forum this thread seems most relevant, perhaps this should be moved to the wheels/tyres section of the forum.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345