Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing chain issue - $1600 replacement?

Users Country Flag

True! Car is old but parts are new....so new prices are paid. I thought that timing chains should have a useful life of 150,000 km given no unforeseen stretching or tensioner problems
    MY19 Polo GTi 2.0 DSG

Previous VW cars:MY16 Polo GTI manual, 2007 Jetta 2.0 TDi manual, 2001 VW Bora V6 4-Motion - flooded away

Quote Originally Posted by maxrob200 View Post
    True! Car is old but parts are new....so new prices are paid. I thought that timing chains should have a useful life of 150,000 km given no unforeseen stretching or tensioner problems
    I own two cars with timing chains. There is no service interval for these items in the manual but the caveat is that your car is serviced within the manufacturers guidelines. Does this mean they never need to be changed ? It's not a serviceable item like a timing belt, but the truth is it is still a wear and tear item i.e. chain stretch and in the case of the EA888 motor there is the well documented chain tensioner failure that causes $$$ of damage.

VW covering some cars completely under goodwill, some at 50% and while lots of owners are out of pocket makes it a grey area as to who is responsible for the failure. It would make sense that they'd be more willing to compensate those with full VW service history.

Not unusual to see posts on here (but more so on briskoda - I hear of a failure every other week) regarding failures on the 2.0T EA888 motor as early model tensioners were 5hithouse and VW kept updating the tensioner to better built units on newer built cars.

I was unaware this was an issue for the Polo and a relatively low km one at that - but the process is the same. Hope you get this sorted out by VW!
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Car is going in tomorrow. VW has told me they will be testing/diagnosing to see how much the chain has stretched and what the exact issue with the timing chain is, the information will be sent to VW Aus. VW Aus will then determine if reimbursement can be given for the repairs. I'll keep you guys in the loop.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Good news! I got the car back from VW. They agreed to cover most of the repairs meaning I only had to pay $250 instead of $1600! Considering labour and parts was approx. $800 each I'm very happy with that. The parts come with a 2 year/unlimited KM warranty, so that's a relief in the meantime if anything else with the timing chain goes wrong. Great result overall.

Users Country Flag

Hats off to VW, really! I was in a similar position with clutch pack failure a couple of months ago, and they footed the majority of the bill. They could easily turn you round and push you out of the door. I did hear a rattle on my wife's car when I started it up the other day, that better not be on its way out now.
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12