Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Polo

Users Country Flag

Why the Polo

I'm a noob here - and I apologize in advance if it has been asked before.
    No I havent gone through all 17 pages of topics.

But.........................................

Why did you peoples go the Polo instead of the Golf??

Me............. EVERYONE has the Golf GTI round 5 Dock / Concord. I wanted something different.
    The new Polo seems to me to be the size of the Mk 4 Golf that I previously owned. It doesnt look small like the last ones.
    Admittedly - I never knew of the huge waiting list.
    I stumbled across mine within a day of looking.
    Needed a new car the Saturday. Bought one the Sunday and picked it up the Friday.

I like the idea of the twin charge and the 20% fuel saving over the Golf (forget the truck of cash I still paid)

When I bought mine there was the drive away special on the Golf, but the new Mk 6 seems a bit overweight for my liking.
    My mate bought an Adidas - but I really cant cop the cloth seats.
    Looks like I am sitting in a pair of sneakers - guess that was the look they were after.
    Also guess it is why they aint selling all that well

Anyway - be interested in hearing what you reckon

Barry

Users Country Flag
    honestly, a question like that is better answered by yourself.. because its all about personal preference

i chose the polo (9n) purely based on budget at the time. and if i were to buy either a golf or polo tomorrow, it would be the golf, purely based on transmission (im a manual person )

you get a LOT of kit out of both cars that are almost similar in a way. it then just comes down to your personal needs imo.
    MY07 Polo GTi
    Last run - 114.8kw atw
    Winton - 1:52.7130

I don't fully understand what you're saying, But I'll try and give you an answer.

For me, I am a 21 year old who has been a revhead my entire life. I recently landed myself a fairly decent job, and, being a self respecting car nut, I decided that my 1990 Nissan Pulsar just wouldn't cut it any more. The Polo GTI caught my eye when it was shown at the Geneva (?) Motor Show, because it was the perfect car for me, something small, light and nimble and with nice styling to boot. When I came to ordering it, I literally told the dealer "I'm not in the market for a hot hatch, I'm in the market for a Polo GTI." Basically put, and excuse the cliche, but it was like love at first sight. Every little thing about that car is perfectly suited to what I'm looking for. The fact that it's $12,000 cheaper helps too.

I know there's not much substance to this reply, but I think that what I'm trying to say is that buying a car is a very personal thing.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    No, that is exactly what I am asking

I have been a VW person all my life.
    When I bought the Polo GTI I was asked by so many of my friends "why didnt you buy the Golf GTI"
    My reason is the difference, the twin charge, the efficiency.
    Litereally the fact that it ISNT a Golf.

My GTI became availabe because someone gave up the wait and grabbed a Golf.

I dont know what I would have done if I was confronted with the wait.
    My daily drive previously had a motor give up and I needed something quickly.
    I wasnt in a position to wait 6 months and I had always like the Polo for the reasons stated ablove

Just wondering if it is
    * the cheaper price
    * the different looks
    * different motors
    * efficiency

As I said - just wondering why

Last Polo, but:
    -price for power (after chip)
    -looks
    -size
    -weight

The last Polo was less popular, many people have a love or dislike for the look. I see a lot of new shape Polo and Golfs, I find it interesting that you would not buy the Golf as there are lots of them... I have not been in a position to have had that consideration.

Got the last one because I wanted a new car which was fun to drive, not too big in size with a bit of quality inside that was not too pricey as I knew I wasn't going to do many km's in it..& hence couldn't justify the higher price of the Golf..
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Users Country Flag
    Never in the market for a GTI a bit too either middle age crisis or young hoon for my tastes.

I was tossing up between a few cars including a second hand Mark V golf and the polo, in the end the value for money on a new Polo was too good to resist especially when you consider how hard it is to get a decent 2nd hand Golf.
    Sword Dude

2011 77 TSI Polo manual Flash Red with Sport Pack
    2014 (MY15) 125 TDI Superb Outdoor 4x4

I love small hot hatches, and the Polo GTI is perfect size as the missus' city car and something I get to use as well. Thought about the Golf GTI, but it isn't so small and the point of a city car is that it is very small.

Users Country Flag
    Polo GTI.....best bang for buck hands down, but I'm biased
    2011 POLO GTI 3dr, Candy White, Audio-Comfort-Xenon Packs
    MODS: H&R Sport Springs - Bilstein B12s - Whiteline Sway Bar - Milltek Cat Back Exhaust - Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by GTI JOE View Post
    Polo GTI.....best bang for buck hands down, but I'm biased
    Yes I agree, but a qualified yes. I think for example 1M and GT3 are best bang for bucks too, but in different categories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast