Support VWWC

Thread: Spark Plugs and Service Costs

Spark Plugs and Service Costs

Hey All,

About to hit 60,000km on my 2015 GTI. I am in the middle of getting together a few things myself instead of letting my mechanic do it. Spark plugs are an issue and I am struggling to find the exact part number from NGK. Based on the NGK website I found these

- NGK PLFER7A8EG.

Does anyone know if thats correct? Or using them? I found them on Ebay from the UK for a lot cheaper so just want to confirm before buying.

Also I need my 4 brake pads to be replaced. What kind of labour charge would I be looking at approx.? I will be supplying my own pads.

Regards,
    bodyboarder03

Plugs can be bought genuine to avoid confusion but I would pull them out, put anti seize on the threads and put them back in, why fix what ain't broke. As for the pads, if they are are shot the rotors will be as well, unusual if they aren't. Labour will vary with work needed, where you live and how much you are prepared to pay, in short there is no straight answer.

Users Country Flag
    Plugs are due every 60K, regardless. I wouldn't leave them until the thing starts miss-firing. TSI motors are pretty highly-strung as it is. Not worth the risk.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Everyone has a view, I never change them and the last car went close to 180,000k without problems. In the old days yes, they had to be done due to weak ignition systems mainly but they were rubbish in those days, badly made out of poor materials but for me I just pull 'em out, lubricate the threads and re-install. My last three petrol cars have never had a plug change while I owned them. If I still owned my workshop I would be telling you they needed changing earlier than 60K! Admittedly none of those motors were TSI so just ignore me, I am just passing on my experience.
    Last edited by Ozsko; 19-06-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyboarder03 View Post
    Hey All,

About to hit 60,000km on my 2015 GTI.
    And here I am in mine with only 16250kms...
    I'm soo euro even my missus is shaved...

Quote Originally Posted by DubSteve View Post
    And here I am in mine with only 16250kms...
    Wish I had only done that many kms. Bad thing about being so far out of the city and work.

Got confirmation from NGK that they are the correct spark plugs so will be buying and installing myself when I receive them.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Everyone has a view, I never change them and the last car went close to 180,000k without problems. In the old days yes, they had to be done due to weak ignition systems mainly but they were rubbish in those days, badly made out of poor materials but for me I just pull 'em out, lubricate the threads and re-install. My last three petrol cars have never had a plug change while I owned them. If I still owned my workshop I would be telling you they needed changing earlier than 60K! Admittedly none of those motors were TSI so just ignore me, I am just passing on my experience.
    What an excellent advice!

Also. My grandpa smoked since he was 5 and lived till 105. I guess, the cigarettes are better these days, we could all smoke and live till at least 100, since the health system is much better today as well.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboarder03 View Post
    Hey All,
    About to hit 60,000km on my 2015 GTI. I am in the middle of getting together a few things myself instead of letting my mechanic do it. Spark plugs are an issue and I am struggling to find the exact part number from NGK. Based on the NGK website I found these
    - NGK PLFER7A8EG.
    Does anyone know if thats correct? Or using them? I found them on Ebay from the UK for a lot cheaper so just want to confirm before buying.
    Also I need my 4 brake pads to be replaced. What kind of labour charge would I be looking at approx.? I will be supplying my own pads.
    Regards,
    bodyboarder03
    The NGK PLFER7A8EG is one of the newer style of spark plug (maybe still VW exclusive), they have a cup shaped terminal for for better shielding of the spring contact plus a longer insulator which improves the flashover resistance at the highignition voltages VW uses. They are what is commonly called "double platinum" as they have a platinum tip on the centre electrode as well as platinum chip on the ground electrode.

This means that they should last a long time, way more than 60,000 k's I'd suggest. Personally I'd do a physical inspection for any visible signs of tracking or cracking and then measure the plug gap to check if they have worn much since they were new. If it's within a few thou (say 0.1 mm) of standard (compare to the new plugs) then I'd lube the threads up and put them back in. Keep the new ones on the shelf for when they are actually required.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST