Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: sound actuator Polo GTI

Ok, the easiest way to do it is to lift the little black box the cable is plugged into out of its holster. Goin from memory here, the box has 2 little tabs on the sides of it. These hook into the holster mounted to the vehicle body. To release these tabs, you have to release the drivers side one first, you kinda have to lift it and slide it at the same time. Then the right one will just slip out, it just slides in left-to-right when you reinstall it.

To release the locking tab, I find the best way is with a long screwdriver and gently lever it out. It will only come out by around 8-10mm. As you start to pull the plug off, the locking tab will slide further out, releasing the plug. To refit, you push the plug on until it stops, then slide the locking tab back in and it will pull the plug back to its home position.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    Ok, the easiest way to do it is to lift the little black box the cable is plugged into out of its holster. Goin from memory here, the box has 2 little tabs on the sides of it. These hook into the holster mounted to the vehicle body. To release these tabs, you have to release the drivers side one first, you kinda have to lift it and slide it at the same time. Then the right one will just slip out, it just slides in left-to-right when you reinstall it.

To release the locking tab, I find the best way is with a long screwdriver and gently lever it out. It will only come out by around 8-10mm. As you start to pull the plug off, the locking tab will slide further out, releasing the plug. To refit, you push the plug on until it stops, then slide the locking tab back in and it will pull the plug back to its home position.
    Man that just made it more confusing for me...lol
    GOLF GTI MY11 ADIDAS Candy White, Sunroof
    GOLF GTI 40th ED, White with Sunroof

Just I just used my VW key to pry it open slowly on all 4 sides bit by bit till the locking clip slides out further then give it a hard jerk to pull the module out. Dont worry you wont break anything. Some of the paint near to the top mount was scratched in the process due to the paint being a little flaky.

Users Country Flag
    I wish i'd not read this topic, picking up my new car thursday and i'd rather not know the sound is fake, but being an engineer i may opt to install a cut-off for long trips.

Users Country Flag
    Here's one with the car driving

VW Polo GTI mit Schalter für Aktuator (während der Fahrt) 1/4 - YouTube

I'm not even gunna take mine away... I too wish I didn't know this, I thought it had a beastie sound and now to know it's fake...
    I wanna make it more beastie to be honest

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread guys but I just took some photos of the actuator being removed. Some people who want to disconnect it are having difficulty, just trying to help

1. Open the bonnet (duh!) and remove the rubber edging from the top right corner (passenger side) as shown. Pull it away from the plastic shield to about the middle of the vehicle, which will give you much more room to move.
    2. You can see the actuator when you lift up the corner of the plastic shield. To remove it, lift the edge closest to the side of the car up from the holder, and pull the module towards that side. It should slip easily out of the holder.
    3. Now for the fun part. The locking clip pulls out sideways but the connector comes straight off, so you need to apply force in two directions at once! Be patient and firm and you will get them apart! I find it easiest to alternate between pulling on the clip and the connector. You may want to try putting a screwdriver through the hole in the clip and trying to pry it out. Pictured is the clip. It comes out to the left when looking at the photo, and the connector comes off the back. (You can also see that you have a little bit of cable to help get a better grip on the module.)
    4. Success!
    5. I put a bit of tape over the connector to try and stop the pins corroding. I just leave it floating around in that bay and haven't heard any rattles.
    6. Don't forget to push the rubber back over the shield and into the stopper at the end. Congratulations, you've made your car 200g lighter
    MY12 Polo GTI
    Factory Options:
    Candy White | 3dr | Comfort Pack | Bi-Xenons | Alarm | Jacky Cloth
    Customisations:
    RNS510 + SSD | Bluetooth | Watch this space!

Users Country Flag
    Awesome work buddy, greatly appreciated. Now how does it sound because I've heard and seen on you tube the car sounds worse without it plugged it, is that true?

I prefer it without the actuator, other people (eg gavs) don't. Very much a personal preference. The added growl definitely sounds louder and sportier, but it also masks the induction noise.

I find the car a much more pleasant place to be when cruising in 7th gear without it, too - nice and quiet.

The other thing to keep in mind is nobody outside the car can hear it. Once I had it disconnected I thought "so that's why nobody turns to look when I take off at the lights..."

If you do decide to disconnect it, putting it back in is MUCH easier than removing it. Also once I get around to wiring up the switch, I'll see if I can work out how to make the switch work in reverse - ie switch "off" is actuator "on" (less light pollution in the cabin for those who prefer to have it on, but might want to turn it off for a long trip).
    MY12 Polo GTI
    Factory Options:
    Customisations:

Users Country Flag
    Ahh ...I'll give it another go but personally I want it louder so in turn taking it off makes less noise I wont be a fan at all. I want something to make it growl more louder. I find myself turning the radio volume down just to hear it. I'm so used to a manual and rely so much on revs to change gears I just can't do it in this due to such a low volume engine sound.

That's fair enough. I want it a bit louder too, but I don't like the sound from the actuator. It's why I'm looking at getting an aftermarket exhaust system.
    MY12 Polo GTI
    Factory Options:
    Customisations:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast