Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: sound actuator Polo GTI

It's the actual speaker in the dash that has the rattle in it. That is what they replaced in my car.

Yes, that is the central dash rattle under acceleration in the GTI. The other rattles only really become evident with the windows open.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    It's the actual speaker in the dash that has the rattle in it. That is what they replaced in my car.

Yes, that is the central dash rattle under acceleration in the GTI. The other rattles only really become evident with the windows open.
    So what do you have running now gave, muffler delete and warranty replaced sound actuator? What's it sound like?
    GOLF GTI MY11 ADIDAS Candy White, Sunroof
    GOLF GTI 40th ED, White with Sunroof

Like it should!

Like I've said before, I have left my sound generator connected because the induction noise of the motor is horrible unless under load. I don't understand people's reservations of the noise at cruising speed because really, there is more wind noise off the mirrors and tyre roar than fake engine note in my opinion. That being said, I spend a lot of time in diesel engined hillbilly transports and I have come from a Mk4 golf with pretty much a straight intake into the air filter do I had heaps of induction noise, so the GTI is decidedly quiet for me. The exhaust note is only evidently different when tooling around normally when the seats are folded down. The rest of the time, inside you would be hard pressed to notice any difference.
    Last edited by gavs; 17-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I don't understand people's reservations of the noise at cruising speed
    Depends your cruising speed/gear & revs.

I like driving in Sports mode. Some of my cruising leaves me in high 3rd gear, even mid 4th. The drone in the car is pretty noticeable, and after an hour of driving like that, I get a little annoyed by it. I do love to give it a good thrashing now and then though, when I can appreciate the noise
    If I drove in D7 all the time, I'd have a different thought on it.

I'd be inclined to build an in-car switch like some have discussed in other threads.
    Mk8 Golf GTI

Users Country Flag
    Although I am very against the noise the speaker makes, you make a good point in getting it fixed under warranty gavs.

Once the problems is fixed, I will still most likely take out the actuator to remove the horrible noise when the revs sit around 3000rpm.

I used to drive my Integra Type S, with racing engine mounts, exahust, gruppe-m instake and the noise was never as annoying/horrible as the polo with the actuator.

Hopefully its just the dud speaking making the drone and I can keep it running after the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by ill0gitech View Post
    Depends your cruising speed/gear & revs.

I like driving in Sports mode. Some of my cruising leaves me in high 3rd gear, even mid 4th. The drone in the car is pretty noticeable, and after an hour of driving like that, I get a little annoyed by it. I do love to give it a good thrashing now and then though, when I can appreciate the noise
    If I drove in D7 all the time, I'd have a different thought on it.

I'd be inclined to build an in-car switch like some have discussed in other threads.
    Well that explains it! No wonder you have a drone in the car!

Oh well, you can sell your car like this when the time comes...

"Brand new 5th, 6th and 7th gear" So I'm guessing oyu don't use cruise control either, so that will be brand new too

Users Country Flag
    Not all of my driving lets me use cruise control, no.
    Also, as-new back-seats and spare tyre. Mint condition airbags. Some horn wear.
    Mk8 Golf GTI

Users Country Flag
    I really can't understand this drone you speak of I think the car sounds nice and when giving it a thrashing even better. I do understand in high 3's or even 4th gear the car sounds like its screaming that does become annoying but I just switch to manual and up a gear.

I'd be really keen to hear without the actuator on but really if its anything like gavs says I'd be more inclined to increase the noise just to get rid of the tinny noise he speaks of.

May I ask what was the warranty replacement because I don't know exactly what everyone's hearing to me it sounds great, might be fake but still sounds low and mean.
    GOLF GTI MY11 ADIDAS Candy White, Sunroof
    GOLF GTI 40th ED, White with Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    I just had my car in for warranty service today to get rid of the rattle and drone.

It seems there were 2 issues:
    1. Brakes lines not secure.
    2. Speaker in Plemnum not insulated (what the?)

So the brake lines were secured and speaker insulated.

No rattle or drone, the car is so nice to drive.....

Users Country Flag

Yes, so long as they don't replace it with a faulty one.

This people is why you have a warranty. By all means, jump on the forums to get info but what about when you sell the car, a prospective buyer drives you GTI after someone elses with the actuator connected and asks "Hey, why does yours sound so tinny?" to which you reply "I disconnected the sound actuator to get rid of an annoyying rattle from it.". "Why didn't you just get it replaced under warranty?"asks the buyer......

Now you have to try and convince said buyer that you did actually care for your car yet, in their mind, you were too lazy to go to the dealership to get something fixed under warranty, so how well did you really look after the car.....

Little things that an enthusiast will look at and why someone might sell their GTI at their asking price, yet you might keep getting offered $5k under what you are asking, if you can get any buyers at all.....

Food for thought for those who would rather just disconnect a plug.
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was all set to disconnect the sound actuator before this comment just confused the hell outa me.

I've only travelled 1800 kms in my new Polo GTI and I don't have any rattles as yet. But the annoying drone coming from the actuator is driving me insane so I was going to disconnect it.

If I took it in to the dealer, they wouldn't replace it because it's doing it's job as intended right?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast